Door Interlock?

Moderators: HPC, Daven

davehills

Door Interlock?

Post by davehills »

Hi All,

I have an issue in that workspace users keep opening the laser cutter door before the smoke has been evacuated. It stinks and I'm concerned about the long term health effects.

Is there any way to fit these machines with an interlock? I'm sort of shying away from the idea of having the door lock closed in case there's a fire, but maybe a simple circuit that sounds a buzzer if the door is opened less than 15 seconds after the machine has stopped? I'm not always nearby to see it happen so re-educating those responsible is often impossible..

Has anyone done this? Does anyone know if there's any way of detecting when the machine stops running? A pin on the controller board, maybe?
Daven

Re: Door Interlock?

Post by Daven »

I have not seen anything like it - would it not be easier to improve the extraction?

Best
Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
davehills

Post by davehills »

It's the fifteen seconds or so between the cut finishing and the smoke being cleared that's the issue. We're using a BOFA extractor but it still takes a few tens of seconds to remove the smoke. The lid is always being opened too soon by over enthusiastic individuals and the smoke then builds up in the room!
Daven

Post by Daven »

Have a word with Chris at HPC - he may know a way ;)

Best
Dave
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
davehills

Post by davehills »

I was wondering about just sticking a cheap smoke alarm to the top of the machine with Velcro? Anyone lets the smoke out the alarm will go off and I can go shout at them :)
Daven

Post by Daven »

Can't do any harm :-)