Aligning after etching

Moderators: HPC, Daven

Kris

Aligning after etching

Post by Kris »

Hi,

LS3020, NewlyDraw

I'm trying to combine etches and cuts to create detailed pieces that are then cut out. The problem I'm having is the laser is going out of alignment after the etch, so the cut doesn't line up. For laser ply, I etch at about 200, 40% power, and have a small circle as a reference point so my detail and cut line up, so I've attached a picture of these to show how far it's being thrown out. Is this a sticky wheel on the gantry, or the speed of the etch vibrating the machine? Anyone else experienced this, or know of any way to fix it?

Cheers
Attachments
IMG_4685.jpg
Thanks

Kris
---------------
LS3020, 35w tube
Macbook Pro, Illustrator CS6
Windows XP, NewlyDraw 1.5
Daven

Re: Aligning after etching

Post by Daven »

Is the alignment out the way it is on the picture - as in top to bottom? If so I doubt it would be the speed of engraving but could be the speed the head moves between cuts. Is the head hitting the home switch (sometimes the screws work lose on the switch).

Best
Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Kris

Post by Kris »

Dave,

The image didn't rotate when I uploaded it, but that picture is wrong. The misalignment is left to right. So the etch (lighter circle) was first, and then the cut (darker circle) is second. That was my reference point but I rotated them both in NewlyDraw on the Engrave panel (I think it's a drop down menu called "Orient").

Anyway, after engraving, it's out to the right by a good 3 or 4mm, on a etched piece not bigger than A5. And I'm pretty sure I don't have a home switch?
Thanks

Kris
---------------
LS3020, 35w tube
Macbook Pro, Illustrator CS6
Windows XP, NewlyDraw 1.5
Pedro_Hernandez

Post by Pedro_Hernandez »

Did you ever solve this issue Kris ?

My 3020 has never aligned a profile cut with an engrave from new,,I've always run an engrave then reset X,Y to home and then used the send to X,Y command and sent the same file but with just the profile cut part of the file.

I think it's just the limitations of a nylon wheel lens carriage assembly on an extruded rail, linear bearings are the way to go for for repositioning accuracy.

Regards

Pedro
HPC1290 User HPC 3020 Owner
JosephRen

Post by JosephRen »

Pedreo_Hernandez wrote:Did you ever solve this issue Kris ?

My 3020 has never aligned a profile cut with an engrave from new,,I've always run an engrave then reset X,Y to home and then used the Phallosan Forte to send to X,Y command and sent the same file but with just the profile cut part of the file.
I get this issue too. Did you find out how to fix it?