hi from szaxe

Moderators: HPC, Daven

szaxe

Re: hi from szaxe

Post by szaxe »

Spooky wrote: an anechoic chamber holds the record at 99.99% reduction to -9.4dBA weighted
:) .... actually I've solved the problem, just need to convince the neighbors to wear ear plugs :)
szaxe

Post by szaxe »

Actually seriously considering the bofa and a soundproof box? can't see anyone that has attempted such with a fume extractor after searching the net? Would be more confident if someone had done it before as I have concerns about the variables IE. overheating, air flow with a silencer chamber built in etc?

Still not convinced I could get the sound levels of a router down to the volume of a laser cutter in or outside a soundproof box, or at least with not too many "0's" in the bill .... that being said I would be very happy to be proved wrong, though an example (Youtube video etc) would be required to change my skepticism :)

Would love to hear from any one that knew the dB's of a working laser printer?
Daven

Post by Daven »

Can't give Db's but the laser itself is not likely it upset anyone as it is no more noisy than a dot matrix printer, the noisy bit is the air assist which as supplied is an outside air pump used for ponds. Most of us who cut wood 3mm plus have upgraded to a bigger version or even a compressor (I have a small low noise compressor). Even that I find annoying and can hear from 20+ feet away from the workshop. The bit to also think about is the vibration but a good bit of rubber should be helpful I guess.

From what you are saying the 3050 with 60w tube is the start point (40w will cut 3mm ply but thicker 60w+ is better), add the bofa to that and a better air assist and you may be set.

If you were to use the set up 8 hours a day you will be at risk of annoying the neighbours - use it for 1/2 an hour on and off and I doubt it will be worse than vacuuming.

A CNC router (which I have little knowledge of) is going to be harder/expensive to control sound/vibration wise plus the dust is soon going to be really annoying without a really good dust extractor.

Another point is home insurance - don't tell your insurance company and you could be invalidating your contract, tell them you are using a laser and the premiums could shoot up (especially with a laser).

Your added issue could also be building insurance if held by a management company if the block is privately owned so worth looking into.

Best
Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Lightnin

Post by Lightnin »

water cooled spindles are brushless and run very quietly, and obviously are water cooled, so can be contained.

The sound of the wood cutting depends on how solid the CNC is built, and how fast you want to cut.
The less the resonance the less "screaming" the bit will make.

I don't know how long the boffa filters last with MDF smoke ?
I'd be interested to know :-)

BTW, I have a soprano sax, and practice in my workshop .. don't know the DB levels but it's loud ! lol
Very different to machines running though, and maybe harder to sound deaden due to the range of frequencies
szaxe

Post by szaxe »

Daven wrote: The bit to also think about is the vibration but a good bit of rubber should be helpful I guess.
Thanks Dave, some great advice in your post :)

Great point about vibration.

I'm just trying to work out if I could get away without an indoor extraction system while I am only using the laser sporadically and for short periods, as if I need to increase production times it will be for a business so will definitely relocate to a light industrial unit?

Any thoughts on light, sporadic use and smell for neighbors? from anyone would be helpful :)
Daven wrote: From what you are saying the 3050 with 60w tube is the start point (40w will cut 3mm ply but thicker 60w+ is better)

I think you are spot one here Dave, but this would push me to my limit, so if I get get away with some light work/prototyping at home until getting a workshop I think I would probably proceed in this direction ....
szaxe

Post by szaxe »

Lightnin wrote:
I don't know how long the boffa filters last with MDF smoke ?
I'd be interested to know :-)

BTW, I have a soprano sax, and practice in my workshop .. don't know the DB levels but it's loud ! lol
Very different to machines running though, and maybe harder to sound deaden due to the range of frequencies
That is the bit that concerns me too Lightnin, looking at the filters they are not cheap :shock: and I have read threads were they are changing the large particle filters in under a week :o granted this is for heavy.

Love the Soprano and always wanted one, however, although I never bought one my 35 year old midi sax can sound like any sax, clarinet trumpet etc etc :)

I customized my 35 year old midi Yamaha WX7 sax from this to this , to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6D4qpY_65M
szaxe

Post by szaxe »

Ooops can't seem to add an image? for the pre-customised Yamaha WX7 ? :(
Lightnin

Post by Lightnin »

haha .. my 25 yr old Korg M1 can make those sounds too :lol:

My sax is a bit older .. about 100yrs Old Pierret
PhillyDee

Post by PhillyDee »

I ran a 3020 in my upstairs flat with the hose poking out tge window. Smoke and sme was tge biggest issue.
http://www.tmbelectronics.com - Electronics, tools, hobby tools, power tools, and much more!

An ex LS3020 user now playing with an LS6840PRO (60W) and an LS1290PRO (80W)
szaxe

Post by szaxe »

Lightnin wrote:haha .. my 25 yr old Korg M1 can make those sounds too :lol:

My sax is a bit older .. about 100yrs Old Pierret

:) Any midi can, but the software I am using is a very special sample modeling software from samplemodeling. Unlike most soft synths and samplers the samples can be morphed with breath and tongue pressure :) ... it costs a lot for every individual instrument, I have all saxes, all clarinets, trumpets and trombones, if you are interested take a look at samplemodeling.com.

But this did solve the sound/volume problem as I can play full blast with headphones on any time night or day .... so OK you win 100% soundproofing is possible :lol: