hi from szaxe

Moderators: HPC, Daven

szaxe

Re: hi from szaxe

Post by szaxe »

Hi Daven, thanks for the welcome :)

Good advice thanks Daven.

Its more about experimentation, so tidying up isn't my biggest problem, or the actual end product, I can see a lot of mileage in prototyping and trying different configurations, just worried about bothering neighbors, I might well have to rent something if all else fails :cry:
Tom

Post by Tom »

Can you see a pattern emerging
You say flat, can you hear you're neighbours vac
outsource too someone you can trust

Tom
szaxe

Post by szaxe »

Hi thanks for the welcome :)

I don't actually have any patents but have used the application system to garner the "Patent Pending" title on several occasions. I have become quite adept at writing patents but doubt my claim writing skills would stand up to an examiners scrutiny or even if they did the resulting patent would be worth the paper it was written on :lol: However, as long as ALL the information is present the claims can be written at the end of the year by a patent attorney if it seems worthwhile, as well as introducing foreign patents. But in all likelihood I would be just doing it for the bull from the "Patent Pending" title :)

I'll certainly take a look at the Bofa filter sounds promising and I'm guessing well passed the £1000 mark :lol: so would seriously have to think before I leap. Maybe I could start with a less expensive laser to start, to keep within the budget I have set myself?

So what would I get for £2000 or so? I'm guessing the Bofa will be around £1500 or so?
szaxe

Post by szaxe »

Thanks Tom. I appreciate your opinion :)

I won't outsource, I have used non disclosure agreements before ... total nightmare when using a man with van (I mean machine) :lol: you can't judge by a website the size of an operation, major company's charge thousands of pounds for a prototype (more than a laser, which is why there was/ is such a buzz around laser cutters/3d printers).

The amount of times on forums I see people discussing what they are making for a client :x . To ruin a patent application only takes a friend wife son to mention it to someone else and it is public (can't be patented).

So long story short, if I can pay a several grand to do my own prototyping, without the risks of outsourcing to the "man with the van" or the thousands of pounds and slightly lesser risks of outsourcing to a major company I will :)

Granted I may fail to do so in my home, hence my questions :) I will have to consider renting a workshop, but that is a last resort ;)
TimBobTastic

Post by TimBobTastic »

The BOFA, delivered from HPC was a touch under £1600 from memory... It was a big jump after investing in the laser... But it made sense to me as I did not want to annoy my usually friendly neighbours with the smell of burnt wood and cut acrylic....
LS3060 PLUS with a 60w tube, Chiller and Bofa filter :-)
Online Store http://www.t2kreations.co.uk
Personal Website... http://www.timbobtastic.com
Lightnin

Post by Lightnin »

you jest about your woodwind .. but (diy) an air tight booth with a smallish CNC router in would be easy to soundPROOF ! comparing cost for cost for a smoke filter and replacement filters.
I would estimate £3-400 as a one off solution for a proper job .. less just to keep it quiet

I've made sound proofed booths for factories .. message me if you want ideas :-)
szaxe

Post by szaxe »

Thanks Timbobtastic :)

I am going to give this some serious consideration .... It may be a hefty outlay, but weighed against the cost to rent a light industrial unit and the inconvenience of getting there every time I want to try something out the suggestion is sounding more appealing :)

Would be interesting if someone knew the decibels outputted from the bofa and the laser cutter combined ?
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

Decent companies won't mention work if they are any good...I have *a number* of NDA's on my desk in front of me that vary up to and including the very fact they exist being withheld.

Nature of the job really :) don't be too concerned about prototyping costs, there are still a few companies that don't charge for basic cut outs or charge at reduced rates and still retain confidentiality.

The ones to avoid are the Ebay jokers (and there are some great ebay laser users) but watch out for the one's that have no experience, no real registrations, no history, and in effect are one man shows in grannies shed turning out what amounts to dangerous crap they don't pay tax on :)
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
Tom

Post by Tom »

It say 56dB for the bofa
PhillyDee

Post by PhillyDee »

I can see your point with regards to the outsourcing, and i am very much the 'one man band' you seem afraid of. I personally dont even need a nda, i come from engineering, served my time as a cnc programner/setter/operator in aerospace (and have worked in pretty much every other sector) and the morals and working practises that go with that. When i do jobs for people thats it. I do ask if i can post in my gallery etc, and usually people have no qualms. But then, i know which jobs i can ask. Others, you know by the nature of the job what can and cannot be done.

I understand how hard this can be over the internet without meeting in person!
http://www.tmbelectronics.com - Electronics, tools, hobby tools, power tools, and much more!

An ex LS3020 user now playing with an LS6840PRO (60W) and an LS1290PRO (80W)