hi from szaxe

Moderators: HPC, Daven

Lightnin

Re: hi from szaxe

Post by Lightnin »

I did a google and found that Cambridge Hackerspace has Laser cutters

I guess just over an hour away from you.

They also have CNC, 3D printers etc etc.

http://wiki.makespace.org/Equipment/Laser_Cutter
Lightnin

Post by Lightnin »

Lightnin

Post by Lightnin »

it's still not clear what kind of shapes and sizes you want to make, but would clay/fimo etc be any good ? followed by resin casting ?
Air Drying Clay is readily available and cheap. As are all the mold making kits etc.

Would say a dremel be too noisy ? you could CNC wax or hard foam and make molds from that ..

Lots of ways to do things, but unless we know what you want to end up with it's hard to say !
szaxe

Post by szaxe »

Well thanks for all the great advice, I think you all have stopped me from making a big mistake in purchasing a laser cutting machine, or at least until I have a workshop.

I actually think I have found an alternative while I'm experimenting, which I will spend a bit more time investigating, being either a Silver Bullet or KNK Maxx 24" .... both are around the £1000 mark and don't suffer from the fumes and noise problems with a laser it appears.

The 24" is going to be more than enough for my need and they can cut many materials up to (depending) around 1.5mm. The materials appear to be mainly less dense materials, however there are ways to harden after production. As with the laser I can layer, but I would just need extra layers with these craft cutters .... but this is no big issue as time, strength and material cost isn't such a major problem with prototypes :)

I will probably get a CNC router initially if I decide to go into production as noise won't be such a major issue if I rent a small industrial unit or workshop.

Anyway thanks again everyone for saving me a large outlay on something that wouldn't be suitable, or at least as a home/hobby project :)
Lightnin

Post by Lightnin »

no idea what they are .. but I would suggest you spend 1/2 a day to go to a hacker/makerspace .. and see what all the options are before you spend any money :-)

Just MHO :-)
szaxe

Post by szaxe »

Lightnin wrote:no idea what they are .. but I would suggest you spend 1/2 a day to go to a hacker/makerspace .. and see what all the options are before you spend any money :-)

Just MHO :-)
Thanks Lightnin I may do so ... it is certainly a good idea and would probably answer most of my concerns :)