hi from szaxe

Moderators: HPC, Daven

szaxe

Re: hi from szaxe

Post by szaxe »

Hi Lightnin, no I don't jest .... There are forums uncountable discussions on soundproofing for musical instruments, I have yet to see one post or manufacturer claim a 100% reduction in sound .... Even the reduction requires a booth to be 100% airtight.

I don't doubt you can do it for a router, and I would be pleased if it can be done :) I don't know if a router when cutting is louder or quieter than a saxophone, I just thought it would be, judging from what I have heard from videos?

Judging a musical instrument and a router may have been unfair of me, you can't have an airtight box for a musician without specialized systems to get air in for the musician. Well actually you can, they are sometimes called coffins :lol:

So I am assuming that a router can run in an airtight box? and the actual sound is less than a sax (typically 94db)? What I heard from videos with a router cutting wood sounded as loud (or at least appeared to be) as a circular saw (typically 110db)?

If anyone wishes to build me a soundproof box, with a 100% reduction, or even 30-40db I will gladly pay a £1000. as long as the box doesn't over heat the router or damage it in any other way and it doesn't effect the running of the router :)
szaxe

Post by szaxe »

Hi Spooky, I know you are right, but it doesn't allow me to experiment unfortunately. There is nothing like building numerous options and seeing how they work in the flesh. What seems perfect in the mind is not necessarily great in the flesh.

I really think my intentions of using a laser cutter for prototyping is one of the strengths of the laser cutter, I have no doubt they can be used for small craft businesses, but I doubt they are the optimum option for mass producing products? But I suspect those laser cutters that are suitable for full production will have an extra "0" or two after what I am prepared to spend :lol:
szaxe

Post by szaxe »

Wow tom that is quieter than a normal conversation ... the continual noise might make it appear louder in close proximity, but it will dissipate the same as normal conversation :)

Is the laser printer louder or quieter that the bofa? (two 50db's don't equal 100db's :)
Tom

Post by Tom »

szaxe wrote:Wow tom that is quieter than a normal conversation ... the continual noise might make it appear louder in close proximity, but it will dissipate the same as normal conversation :)

Is the laser printer louder or quieter that the bofa? (two 50db's don't equal 100db's :)
TBH i thought so too that's why a mentioned a vac earlier, i just googled bofa ad oracle decibels
szaxe

Post by szaxe »

Hi Phillydee, I prefer to do stuff myself like you. to many variables creep in every time an outside source is used. But I know that the moment I asked for a prototype to built I would come up with a better solution ... my life would be constantly on hold waiting for the postman so I could have my next prototype produced :lol:
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

Decibels are logarithmic,

Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

szaxe wrote:Hi Phillydee, I prefer to do stuff myself like you. to many variables creep in every time an outside source is used. But I know that the moment I asked for a prototype to built I would come up with a better solution ... my life would be constantly on hold waiting for the postman so I could have my next prototype produced :lol:
Remember each released prototype requires CE certification and Toy Regulation Compliance (trust me,it gets expensive)
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
PhillyDee

Post by PhillyDee »

szaxe wrote:Hi Spooky, I know you are right, but it doesn't allow me to experiment unfortunately. There is nothing like building numerous options and seeing how they work in the flesh. What seems perfect in the mind is not necessarily great in the flesh.

I really think my intentions of using a laser cutter for prototyping is one of the strengths of the laser cutter, I have no doubt they can be used for small craft businesses, but I doubt they are the optimum option for mass producing products? But I suspect those laser cutters that are suitable for full production will have an extra "0" or two after what I am prepared to spend :lol:
Actually, it depends on your definution if 'mass production'. Ive turned batcges of washers that took 2 weeks to produce 10,000. This was aerospace. Same factory also made punched washers millions a week. These lasers are more than capable of doing both. Thats the beauty of them. Especially as the price means buying more than one is economical versus large industrials.

As always, price of the finished part, quality and quantity requirements vary from job to job.
http://www.tmbelectronics.com - Electronics, tools, hobby tools, power tools, and much more!

An ex LS3020 user now playing with an LS6840PRO (60W) and an LS1290PRO (80W)
szaxe

Post by szaxe »

:) Spooky.

Sound does my head in :shock: A reduction of 50% on 110dB is 107dB a reduction of 50% on 50dB is 47dB , so you can see why I am concerned about the difference in volume of a router!!!

Getting 50-60dB down a bit is a dam sight easier than getting 110dB (assuming a router is this loud or quiet?) down to 30-40 decibels ... note :- Whisper Quiet Library at 6' 30dB Normal conversation at 3' 60-65dB .... A 90% reduction on 54dB would be a major difference, you wouldn't even notice a 90% reduction on 110dB or even on a saxophone (typically 94dB).
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

szaxe wrote:Hi Lightnin, no I don't jest .... There are forums uncountable discussions on soundproofing for musical instruments, I have yet to see one post or manufacturer claim a 100% reduction in sound .... Even the reduction requires a booth to be 100% airtight.
)

100% reduction is possible :) sadly the cost of getting those lasers into high orbit is pretty steep ;)

Joking aside I understand that an anechoic chamber holds the record at 99.99% reduction to -9.4dBA weighted
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk