Hello From Kent!

Moderators: HPC, Daven

Mini30girl

Hello From Kent!

Post by Mini30girl »

Hi!

I am just about to buy my first laser cutter and I would love some advice from current laser owners!

I currently use Universal X660s at work, but I want to buy my own desktop laser so that I can produce my own work from my spare room at home.

I am considering a LS3040. I would like it to cut up to 3mm perspex and 1.5mm birch ply. Someone very kindly let me have a play with a LS3020, and I have seen that it cuts 3mm perspex rather well. Has anyone had any success with 1.5mm ply? Is the machine capable of neatly cutting 1.5mm ply? How detailed can it cut?

Can you run the laserscript software on a mac?

Also, the lasers I am used to using use laser cartridges, which are really easy to change. How easy are the laser tubes in these machines to change?

Thank you so much, I'd really appreciate any advice!

I can't wait to start using my own laser cutter!
Daven

Re: Hello From Kent!

Post by Daven »

Hi and welcome (also in Kent but moving to Devon on Monday!)
Mini30girl wrote: Has anyone had any success with 1.5mm ply? Is the machine capable of neatly cutting 1.5mm ply? How detailed can it cut?
The 3020 will cut 1.5mm laser ply just fine - 3mm is about the max with a good clean cut, 5mm at a pinch. Detail is good - down to 1mm x 1mm
Mini30girl wrote: Can you run the laserscript software on a mac?
The 3020 comes in two forms - the cheaper NewlyDraw which runs on Win XP or Win7 32bit only. The dearer LaserCut version is windows XP through Win 8 but not Mac as far as I know.
Mini30girl wrote: Also, the lasers I am used to using use laser cartridges, which are really easy to change. How easy are the laser tubes in these machines to change?
With the help of HPC most users should be able to change tubes BUT you must follow HPC instructions to do it safely.

Best
Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

Hiya Mini :) welcome aboard

best wishes

Dave
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
Mini30girl

Post by Mini30girl »

Thanks for the advice!

I didn't realise that there was a choice in software. I have had a little play with Newlydraw. What is LaserCut like? Is it worth the extra money?

Am I correct in saying that Newlydraw will only allow you to send engraves and cuts as separate jobs to the machine? Is this the same for the LaserCut software?

LS3040 OR LS3060.....hmmmm....decisions, decisions!
Daven

Post by Daven »

It is only the 3020 that comes with NewlyDraw the 3040 upwards are Lasercut.

ND will send the jobs in one but it doesn't have any layer management - Lasercut does and also controls the power settings. Have a look at this.

I did a review of the 3060 here which may be useful. I guess it is down to how much room you have available.

If you wanted to have a look at a 3060, you can visit us but it would have to be this Saturday ;)

Best
Dave
Mini30girl

Post by Mini30girl »

Thank you Dave, that's very kind! Where abouts in Kent are you? If your nearby I may pop over to have a look, that would really help.

It sounds like LaserCut is the right software for me (which is handy it comes with both machines I'm looking at!) but I'll have to get myself a little PC laptop to run it on :)

Thanks for all your help, its really appreciated. And I apologise in advance for all the stupid questions that I will no doubt continue to ask when I get my machine! :D
Daven

Post by Daven »

Bexleyheath ;)

PM me if you want and I'll let you know the details.

Best
Dave
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

Hiya Mini,
And I apologise in advance for all the stupid questions that I will no doubt continue to ask when I get my machine!
The only stupid question is the one you don't ask :)

My opinion (and this is just opinion) is the 3060, LaserCut is a far superior system to work with and you have the option of the 60 watt tube as an upgrade if required. The 60 is a better built machine with more advanced features like bearing slideways etc, 600 x 300 material supplies are common whereas 400 x 300 aren't quite so easy to get and mean cutting down your supplied stuff.

The HPC machines really are premier stuff, I battered hell out of my 1290 and it still runs like a dream :)

best wishes

Dave / Spooky
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
Mini30girl

Post by Mini30girl »

Thanks for all the help :) Its a complicated business picking your first laser!

Great review of the 3060, there should be reviews like that for all the machines! After reading all the specs and going through costings I think the 3040 is the one for me. Mainly because of space, I only really need the bed size that the 3040 is offering, and its happy cutting the materials that I want and runs on LaserCut! I was really hoping I could squeeze the 3060 into my workshop (......also known as the spare room ;) ) so that I didnt 'outgrow' the 3040 too soon..... but it just wont fit. I don't really want to keep a machine like this in the garage :(

Cheers for your help!

Just need to order it..... then the fun can begin! :D
Mini30girl

Post by Mini30girl »

Thats it! All ordered!

My LS3040 arrives end of July!

Does anyone have the physical dimensions of this machine? I need to build a desk for it and it seems to have gone from the HPC website!

Cheers