Pics of what youve done

Moderators: HPC, Daven

Spooky

Re: Pics of what youve done

Post by Spooky »

Hiya Tweakie,

LL (Laserable Laminate) is basically two sheets of very thin cast acrylic :) with the second thinner layer being cast directly onto the base colour.

It's safe, but as you say some router laminate is indeed PVC based so a test of unknown providence material is always good :)

best wishes

Dave
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
tweakie

Post by tweakie »

Thanks Guys.
I recently bought some very cheap wht/red/wht laminate which was supposed to be laserable, and yes, you guessed it. Now I know why it was so cheap. :D

I recently purchased Gearotic Motion (written by Art and Bob of Mach3 fame). As well as creating serious stuff it also allows for non-linear gears and this was just a trial piece.

Tweakie.
Attachments
gears2aaa.jpg
(48.09 KiB) Downloaded 828 times
tweakie

Post by tweakie »

A bit of my laser marquetry using an image from http://www.craftsmanspace.com
If you haven’t already then this website is well worth a visit - there is lots of free stuff there, just waiting to be made ;)

Tweakie.
Attachments
DSC00786a.JPG
(165.1 KiB) Downloaded 786 times
PhillyDee

Post by PhillyDee »

Blinky the Pacman ghost!

Instructions and DXF's in here:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:9086
Attachments
Blinky1_display_medium[1].jpg
(197.2 KiB) Downloaded 783 times
http://www.tmbelectronics.com - Electronics, tools, hobby tools, power tools, and much more!

An ex LS3020 user now playing with an LS6840PRO (60W) and an LS1290PRO (80W)
Pedro_Hernandez

Post by Pedro_Hernandez »

As well as other other things I use my laser in the process of making keepsake fine silver jewellery, finger print jewellery is done by another process though I will use the laser to make custom profile cut outs for silicone push molds or for text stamps.

I'll put up more examples when I get the time.

Peter
HPC1290 User HPC 3020 Owner
The-Engraver

Post by The-Engraver »

did you cut out the shapes with your laser?

I like the depth you have achieved on the engraving, what settings did you use?

Thanks

Gary
Pedro_Hernandez

Post by Pedro_Hernandez »

Hi Gary

No a C02 laser wont make a mark on Fine silver let alone cut or engrave it, the engraving is made into another material such as rubber or mdf that I make the mould for casting the silver in.

I cant think off the top of my head the exact settings I used, there written down somewere at home I'll check later.

I may of just used the recommended HPC setting for the 3020 for quickness.

Regards

Peter
HPC1290 User HPC 3020 Owner
Mike

Post by Mike »

hi peter those look great!
Bernie_of_CPE

Post by Bernie_of_CPE »

Here is an interesting job I have just completed, it's another prop recreation from the TV series Space: 1999 for the members of http://www.eagletransporter.com

This time it's the travel tube, this was made as a novelty item to be back lit or perhaps as a clock face.

Enjoy.

Bernie

An interesting shot of the rosette of tile details this model, it uses acrylic, styrene and fast cast details.

I even used the laser to custom make mould boxes for the RTV moulding process.

An overview shot of the kit showing all the acrylic parts.

Here is a rare picture of the original prop made for the program back in the mid 1970's.

Here you can see the etched lines that form the layout being used to build the styrene layers which add the petal like details.
Best regards.

Bernie_of_CPE (Custom Product Engineering)
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

Thats some nice kit Bernie, I remember being an avid space 1999 fan, I still have the two dinky / corgi transporters in their original boxes :)
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk