Importing PNG into LaserCut

Moderators: HPC, Daven

Scriggles

Importing PNG into LaserCut

Post by Scriggles »

Hi, it's me again :oops:

I've been googling for ages and having no luck, so back to this great forum for help :D

I create designs for engraving in Inkscape and export as PNG (unfortunately Inkscape doesn't export as BMP).

LaserCut doesn't seem to import PNG so to convert the design into BMP I open paint and save as BMP. However, I lose a lot of the design quality when I do this.

I've tried online converting tools but the quality is either bad or a black background is inserted.

Any advice please?

Thanks
Kim
Daven

Re: Importing PNG into LaserCut

Post by Daven »

Hi Kim,
You should be able to import PNG and engrave - I do it all the time. Make sure it is not 1 bit (pure black and white). The black background is where it does not know how to handle transparency.

Have a look at IrfanView - it is great for editing images.

Best
Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Scriggles

Post by Scriggles »

I've attached the lasercut import file options. There is no PNG? That would save me a load of work and improve the quality hugely if it did deal with PNG.
I'm using LaserCut 6.1?

Edit on this post as my attachment hasn't been saved due to attachment quota being exceeded.

The import options are:
PLT-HPGL Plotter File
HPG-HPGL Plotter File
AI - Adobe Illustrator
AutoCad DXF
DST
NC
CNC
BMP
DIB

... no PNG :roll:
Daven

Post by Daven »

Oh - sorry didn't know Letro has removed png in 6.1!

If you have drawn in Inkscape have you tried saving as DXF? I have had a few svg files sent that I have saved as DXF in Inkscape ok.

Best
Dave
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Scriggles

Post by Scriggles »

Don’t be sorry - you’re brilliant at helping out!
I tried Dxf but it never quite works for engraving.
I did change the text and the power/speed and had much better results, though I’m not sure I’d that was luck?!
Any chance you fancy running a training session? I’d love a half day/ full day session on the hardware, the software, materials, ticks, etc.
I recon you’d have a few interested parties!
Daven

Post by Daven »

Thanks Kim, dxf should engrave ok but you need to add extra lines in some cases to turn on or off inside the lines.

You are more than welcome to visit for a chat - I don't have 6.1 though ;) I could not do it officially as I do not have the relevant insurance etc and obviously HPC do training days ;)

Best
Dave
Scriggles

Post by Scriggles »

I’ll have a look into the HPC training days. I didn’t know they did that. Mmmh.

Where are you based? I’d love to have an informal chat and get some useful tips and info if you’d be willing to share :)
Daven

Post by Daven »

I am in Honiton, Devon. PM me for details ;)

Best
Dave
Scriggles

Post by Scriggles »

Aaah, Devon is a bit far but will keep you in mind if we ever venture down that way. Thanks!
Daven

Post by Daven »

No problems ;)