Fume Filtering

Moderators: HPC, Daven

llamalasers

Fume Filtering

Post by llamalasers »

Hello once again!

We're moving and for my new workshop I'm going to have to get some kind of filter due to having a few neighbours who might be upset with plastic stink floating about (have you ever cut blue Perspex? Smells like drains!).

Looking at the IQ BOFAs but want some advice if there's any available.

Are there any better/cheaper alternatives?

Do the filters clog up easily?

Is it worth pre-filtering the outlet in order to make the BOFA filters last longer?

Does the BOFA replace the extractor fan completely or will the extractor be required to draw the air?

Any thoughts on these questions would be gratefully appreciated.

Cheers!
60W LS6840 & CW4000
started out with LS3040
JamesW

Re: Fume Filtering

Post by JamesW »

Hi Llamalasers!
Are there any better/cheaper alternatives?
Regrettably, not that I've found, yet.
Do the filters clog up easily?
If you cut MDF a lot, expect a pricey time, with filter life for me around 3-6 months. By avoiding MDF, my filters last more than twice as long.
Is it worth pre-filtering the outlet in order to make the BOFA filters last longer?
I've tried this with paint-spray filter media inside the laser cabinet, but can't see much difference.
Does the BOFA replace the extractor fan completely or will the extractor be required to draw the air?
Yes. The BOFA completely replaces the extractor.

My latest attempt to save money on filters (which I believe are outrageously overpriced) is to take apart dead charcoal filters and replace the charcoal media. I suppose I should note that I suspect it's a good idea to use a breathing mask while doing this. However, at least on a first inspection, the saturated charcoal filter media seems reasonably benign - I suspect it's no worse for you than bonfire ash (which is pretty dreadful). Use common sense.

The filter itself is very simple, and seems easy enough to disassemble and reassemble. A drill, a pop-rivet gun, a stanley knife and a mastic gun seem to be all that's required, plus some silicone sealant.

What I haven't found yet is a cost-effective supplier of activated charcoal at a size suitable for filtration of gasses. People at my local hackspace have suggested manufacturing my own activated charcoal (it's just charcoal with steam passed through it) but this is starting to sound like spending £200 to save £100.

Surely there must be somewhere to by charcoal in bulk. It can't be THAT expensive! Any suggestions?

Hope this helps!

James
llamalasers

Post by llamalasers »

Hi James,

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply and with such good answers.

I mostly cut Perspex branded and glitter acrylic but have recently been doing a littlebit with walnut/cherry/maple veneered MDF so have to factor that in although it isn't a lot. I'm looking at the BOFA AD 500 iQ which is designed for mid-high fume extraction (according to the blurb). I notice it has two filters, a pre-filter and then a HEPA filter and looking at up to £500 to replace the pair, ouch but if there's no sensible alternative then we'll have to do it. 3-6 months is managable and better than the 1-2 months I had assumed.

Good luck with the charcoal replacement, let us know if you are ever successful :D
60W LS6840 & CW4000
started out with LS3040
TimBobTastic

Post by TimBobTastic »

I know this is an old thread but....

I have the Bofa Oracal, and I have to say, it is a very impressive piece if equipment. I purchased it for similar reasons to you (worried about neighbours complaining) and am pleased I did. Its quiet and efficient. In 30 months I have had to replace the filters once (22 months), I cut mainly ply and arcrylic. I did cut MDF once or twice but I noticed this greatly reduced the life if the filter (I estimate the 2 sheets of MDF I cut took 3 months off the filter life, but I cant back this up with any hard fact or data)

The best thing about buying the BOFA was the speed HPC delivered it to me.... Next day delivery via a courier, with the same experience when I need replacement filters... yes they are expensive to replace... but if you factor in time and effort required to source alternatives or clean the filters, then its worth every penny. allowing you to spend more time making and less time maintaining

Happy cutting!!!
LS3060 PLUS with a 60w tube, Chiller and Bofa filter :-)
Online Store http://www.t2kreations.co.uk
Personal Website... http://www.timbobtastic.com
llamalasers

Post by llamalasers »

Pretty pissed off right now, the AD Oracle has been pumping out noxious acrylic fumes for the past couple of days, I've moved it to near an open window so I can continue working but that's not ideal. According to BOFA the Carbon filter has already died, less than two months into it's life which is a terrible and unaffordable lifespan. I was expecting maybe 6 months from it with our usage. I almost always cut Perspex branded acrylic, the very rare bit of mdf (a few minutes worth at most) and some other acrylic products.

No impressed.
60W LS6840 & CW4000
started out with LS3040
llamalasers

Post by llamalasers »

Second filter packed in a few days ago, can't afford to keep buying the bloody things so decided to go back to the old form of extraction only to discover the old extractor was on the blink :lol:

Thrown caution to the wind and got a Manrose MF100 100mm Mixed Flow Fan from Screwfix for £50, lo and behold it's extracting a beaut.

Anybody want to buy a BOFA AD Oracle? Will be sticking it up on eBay in a week or two :shock:
60W LS6840 & CW4000
started out with LS3040