LASER ALIGNMENT

Moderators: HPC, Daven

Lightnin

Re: LASER ALIGNMENT

Post by Lightnin »

that's the idea. do a few test squares, check each edge. it will show if you beam is not straight too. I.E. if the bevel is more one side than the other.
lasers are sort of machine dependent, so any advice, is just a suggestion. see what works best with your machine.
Rick

Post by Rick »

No, sorry, other way round, 71.5mm!!
Lightnin

Post by Lightnin »

? do you usually focus on the underside ?
Rick

Post by Rick »

Is there anyone else having persistent trouble cutting 3mm birch ply? For quite a while now I have had to change my settings virtually every sheet. Not only that I can have several similar cuts side by side and some cut through and some don't. For a couple of years I had the same settings day in day out with no problem.

Perspex cuts fine and consistently and my mirrors and laser beam line-up fine. I do find quite often there are white marks on the surface of the ply as if some kind of filler has been applied, but I think it is mainly down to inconsistent sinew in the wood?

Obviously the time lost trying to recover a piece by tracing the cut with a craft knife, the wasted wood and the wasted time are frustrating to say the least!
Daven

Post by Daven »

I do sometimes but the ply I get seems to be high quality with few inclusions - if filler has been used then it is not good quality (for lasers) and I would check with the supplier.

Knots in the middle layer tend to be my main issue but most of the time I can cut through it with a knife.

Best
Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Rick

Post by Rick »

Hi Dave - who do you buy your ply from please? Regards, Richard
Rick

Post by Rick »

I have been having further issues cutting 3mm ply with my LS3020 which I had down to variances in the quality of the wood, but I am beginning to wonder if other factors are at play.

Out of exasperation I upped the power to 80/80% and increased the speed to 30% (For two years I had cut at 22% speed and power 27/27%, but recently 10% speed and 36/36% power) to see if I could blast my way through the wood! However, it made no impression whatsoever! Not even a line or a mark of any sort. Worried, I reduced power by a factor of 5 right down to 50% where it made a very narrow mark like what I call a “line etch”. It wasn’t until I brought the power down to the level I usually work at that it would start cutting again, but without cutting right through as before.

What I am wondering is maybe there is some kind of cut-out that stops the laser working at a higher rate than is good for it or, is it as I fear, I have a failing laser or other part? Of course, this is as business is picking up and orders are stacking up!!
Daven

Post by Daven »

No limiter as such so in theory you could run at 100% (unless it has changed on the latest LaserCut boards if fitted).

Upping the power could heat the tube up quick if the flow sensor is not working (as in not turning the tube off if no flow) which could cause it to stop (or worse kill the tube) so worth checking the water flow is ok just in case. I would expect you would see it cut for a small amount of time first though.

It sounds like the tube could be failing - use a mirror and look down into the output coupler and see if the mirror is ok (obviously with the machine off!), It may just need cleaning which you can do but be very careful how you clean it as any damage and it definitely is new tube time!!

Tubes always fail when it is the worst time possible and when HPC are not in the area for a couple of weeks! :D
Best
Dave
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Rick

Post by Rick »

Morning! Thanks for that. The coolant flow seems to be fine with no air bubbles etc.

I'm not quite sure what I am looking for when you refer to the output coupler mirror. The first mirror the beam hit seems nice and clean but I think you are referring to something inside the tube near the end? There seems to be something embedded in the tube at the end where there are a couple of silicone tubes carrying coolant but everything seems to be sealed?
Daven

Post by Daven »

Yes that is the output coupler - you can not take it apart.

The mirror where the beam comes out (it is a partially reflective mirror) can get smoke damage and can be cleaned carefully using a soft cloth (I use spectacle cleaning cloths). Be careful though as any damage is not reparable and means a new tube!.

Best
Dave