Quick Tip / Lens cleaning

Moderators: HPC, Daven

Spooky

Quick Tip / Lens cleaning

Post by Spooky »

Was bumbling about with the 6840 earlier and cutting out a tower of Piza and I noted that the speed and feeds needed tweaking again to get a certain cut through every time.
Usually when this happens I start thinking a tube swap out is on the way so as I didn't have another tube in stock as yet I decided to give the mirrors a clean and the final lens just to be sure.

Mirrors cleaned: Check

Final lens!!

Ahh now here is something I had forgotten to mention, I run a bigger belt drive compressor on the machine as I've found 25psi of air assist makes a BIG difference to cutting, since changing out the compressor I had fitted an air cleaner (to remove most of the moisture a compressor creates) but hadn't really thought about lens cleaning.

The final lens was way mucky, a quick clean with de-ionised water and a cotton bud and I'm back to running reliably at 12 speed 65% power on 4mm MDF with cut through every time using a 40 watt tube.

soooooo if you find your machine has gradually lost a bit of bang of late don't forget that final lens and keeping it clean it really does make a huge difference.

I forgot and nearly ended up buying a spare tube :)

best wishes

Dave
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
Mike

Re: Quick Tip / Lens cleaning

Post by Mike »

also make sure you put the lens back the correct way too...
StarLoc Adhesives

Post by StarLoc Adhesives »

Which way is the correct way for the lens? on an old ( blue coloured) laserscript 3040? , everyone on here says curved side upwards for the lens but the cd instruction with mine says flat upward and convex curved side down? , ive tried curved side up and it doesnt work , gives much wider cut , burnt everything and marked the lens
Manufacturer of quality UK made adhesives since 1992 http://www.shop4glue.com and balsa model aircraft kits since 1988 http://www.FMKmodels.com

HPC hx3040
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

I think it depends on the Lens Star,

I have 6 different len's here and they are all curved side up. Some len's are single curve and some are double, on the singles it's flat side down, the curved are usually as per manufacturers instruction.

The modern Lasers are all curved side up.

best wishes

Dave
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
SimonMallas

Post by SimonMallas »

Hi Starloc,
On Hpc lasers it's as you'd think, curved down. The Internet will say the oppersite, but the Internet says alot of things. I'd never recommend you actually take your lens out, one you can drop them!! and two the little rubber gasket can stick to the Len coating, if you knock it off it can damage it!!!!
Cheers Simon
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

carl Zeiss Optics GMBH also say menescus lens operate curve up :) plano convex are a different ball game :)
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
SimonMallas

Post by SimonMallas »

Hi spooky,
Ya good old Carl, like the shimano of the lens world lol. I would agree in any other laser or circumstance, but manufacturers recommended, we have tested and had it tested. So as it stands laserscript lenses are curved down as standard, but if you want to put them curved up, try it..... hasn't really been an issue..
Cheers Simon
Daven

Post by Daven »

Hi Simon,

Do the 3020's come with a rubber gasket if so mine was missing!

We did find the 3020's work better with the lens cuts better with curved side upwards.
I have no option but to remove the lens to clean it - see the state of it in my post here ;)

Cheers

Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
PhillyDee

Post by PhillyDee »

Nope, they don't!

Curved side up here as well.
http://www.tmbelectronics.com - Electronics, tools, hobby tools, power tools, and much more!

An ex LS3020 user now playing with an LS6840PRO (60W) and an LS1290PRO (80W)
SimonMallas

Post by SimonMallas »

Morning Dave,
Sorry your totally right, the 3020, 3040 and 3060 don't have a washer and you do have to remove them to clean, so be careful : ) I would be really interested in any tests and result done..... Thanks again Dave
Cheers Simon