Using a Mac

Moderators: HPC, Daven

technomupet67

Using a Mac

Post by technomupet67 »

Hi all,

This is a quick post for those of you considering buying a laser from HPC and wondering if it will work with a Mac.
The software to drive the laser is a PC software only but it is still possible to use a Mac computer.

I purchased a 6840 a few months ago and i have been using a MacBook pro. running windows xp in bootcamp mode.
To do this, you need a valid version of windows xp, download the latest version of bootcamp from the apple website.
Install windows xp on the Mac.
Boot under windows and install the laser software.
From this point if you want to cut using your Mac you simply boot in windows mode. For all intent and purpose the Mac is now a PC. !!

In my case, this allows me to use the Mac to create the documents using adobe illustrator which I feel more comfortable using, then when I am ready, simply restart in windows mode to drive the laser.

I have not tried yet to use an emulation software like "Fusion" because, I never need to run the laser at the same time as designing a part to cut. (I create in my office in the warmth of the house and "cut" in the cold of my workshop !

Hope this is helpful to somebody out there.

Best
Oli
Bernie_of_CPE

Re: Using a Mac

Post by Bernie_of_CPE »

Hi Oli,

Mac users unite..!

I bought a cheap PC laptop to install and use with our 6090 system. I dump the files onto a datastick and import them via the cut software. I was concerned that the dongle would not be recognised or other problems might occur. Does this work ok with your setup, if it does then I might invest in a new Mac Pro laptop.

I was also interested to read someplace that you can drive the system directly via a data stick with no PC in between, has anyone done / is doing this?

Bernie.
Best regards.

Bernie_of_CPE (Custom Product Engineering)