2 cuts in one pass

Moderators: HPC, Daven

phil2simmons

2 cuts in one pass

Post by phil2simmons »

Hi all
I have just cleaned our machine and found on checking its operation that the laser beam seems to have split so that we get 1 cut and 1 wide scorch mark parallel to the cut in one axis. Along the other axis the scorch is in line with the cut.
I have inspected the lens (suspecting tis to be the problem) and noted that the rubber ring between the lens and the annular screw ring has taken some of the coating off the lens. Could this be the cause of the problem?

Any comments would be appreciated.

As a makeshift to keep things running, I have rotated the lens holder assembly through approx. 90 degrees and this seems to have corrected the problem but I am not happy with this as a long term solution as the wires feeding the red led dot are under the cross beam and could snag/wear if they rub on the cross beam. At the moment they are clear as I have lowered the lens assembly to give some clearance.

Thanks
Phil
Spooky

Re: 2 cuts in one pass

Post by Spooky »

Beam scatter Phil.

Either the beam is striking the aircone or the lens is knackered (have a look at your mirrors as well)
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
Spooky

Re: 2 cuts in one pass

Post by Spooky »

A quick update Phil,

have a look at the beam as it enters the final mirror by sticking a bit of card in front of it before firing the laser. Do you get a single dot/ burn or a split one?

Cracked mirrors can cause the effect you are getting as well as a cracked lens in the laser tube itself.Just want to eliminate both possibilities before looking at the final lens.

best wishes

Dave
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk