DXF import.

Moderators: HPC, Daven

steveastrouk

DXF import.

Post by steveastrouk »

I have been trying to import "DXF" from my Alibre CAD system, which is supposed to export R14 to 2007 format .DXF files. EVERYone I've tried crashes LaserCut 5.3 I stripped out every layer but the plot layer, and I've IMPORTED my DXF to Corel, and immediately REexported it to DXF and it works !!

Has anyone else any similar issues. It looks like Alibre's DXF export isn't quite right, but whatever, Laser Writer shouldn't crash out.
Which DXF format is right ?

Steve
Spooky

Re: DXF import.

Post by Spooky »

Autocad 2000 backwards works fine Steve,

Make sure you don't save unreconciled layers though, that can cause issues with Lasercut

best wishes
Dave
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
steveastrouk

Post by steveastrouk »

Hi Spooky,

I'm going to run the two DXF files, pre Corel and Post Corel in a file compare, and see where the differences are. I'd supressed all the dimension layers before I exported it, but I suspect that I may not be supressing it properly in the export. Somehow, Corel sorts it out !

Steve
bob

Post by bob »

Hi sometimes I have issues from dxfs with lettering when it misses parts however we get round this by sending as aplt file and all is well
thanks Bob
silverstreamdesigns

Post by silverstreamdesigns »

I know it's a pain - and takes time - but I've resigned myself to "tracing" over my final AutoCAD drawing when I'm happy with the end result.
What I mean by that is that i create a new layer and then re-draw over all the lines IN THE ORDER THAT I WANT THEM TO BE CUT!
Once that's done I delete all the other layers and their content.

This really speeds up the lasering process as the beam isn't constantly dancing around from one bit to another - hence less time to do the job and less wear and tear on the machine!

Best if you save the DXF in AutoCAD 2000 format - this simplifies the file even more so the machine doesn't get "confused"!

Works for me, at least! :)
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

Hi Guys,

Before sending to the laser PEDIT all the lines into polylines, Lasercut will then follow each line complete rather than hopping as well as producing a far better edge.

best wishes

Dave
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
DaveWheeler

Post by DaveWheeler »

bob wrote:Hi sometimes I have issues from dxfs with lettering when it misses parts however we get round this by sending as aplt file and all is well
thanks Bob
Hi, we had this issue too. Exporting as a PLT file also worked for us.
steveastrouk

Post by steveastrouk »

Spooky wrote:Hi Guys,

Before sending to the laser PEDIT all the lines into polylines, Lasercut will then follow each line complete rather than hopping as well as producing a far better edge.

best wishes

Dave
Hi Dave,
What does "PEDIT" mean ?
Thanks
Steve
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

Hiya Steve,

In AutoCAD type "PEDIT" at the command line.(without the "")

It will give you a list of options,
When you select the first line it will say "Do you wish to turn this into a polyline" (Y/N) just hit enter as the default is Y

then select "JOIN" (just type the letter "J") then select all the lines you wish to join into the polyline then hit "Enter"

It will turn individual lines into a complete single line with multiple grip points. Lasercut will see it as one line and follow it complete rather than jumping.

When you click on a POLYLINE it will select the whole line as if it were a single object rather than as multiple parts.

If you wish to return to a set of multiple lines type "EXPLODE" then select the POLYLINE, it will break it into individual lines at each grip point.

hope that helps

best wishes

Dave

PS:versions of autocad before R14 DON'T support polylines so DON'T save it as anything other than a 2000 DXF or the lines will explode.
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk