Hi from Staffordshire

Moderators: HPC, Daven

davincicrafts

Hi from Staffordshire

Post by davincicrafts »

Hi everyone. A quick hello. We live on a narrowboat in Staffs, and have another boat as our craft workshop where we run the 3020. We are using a large black bin filled with 40 ltrs of water, and we are lucky to be able to vent straight outside as we have no neighbours to annoy :-)

Had our 3020 delivered in mid Feb. Fired it up a about 4 times now. We have brought it to make small craft items, as we have had lots of designs, but never the skill to make them to a high enough standard. I'm an artist and designer, and Alison is the brains, having spent 10 years working as an automotive CAD engineer. We are using a mix of Corel Draw, Autocad and Catia for our designs in fretwork and engraving on boxes.

We are amazed by the quality of what we have made so far (and it is very early doors yet). Unfortunatly today we have been stopped by a broken mirror (lense?). We have been gently cleaning up with the alcohol and cotton buds, when we noticed a crack on the mirror, we took it out and it had completely broken 1 3rd down from the top. Is this unusual after such a short time? It's the one to the bottom left of the bed. Anywho, I will give a call to HPC tomorrow, as they have been very helpful so far.

So far we have been cutting laser ply, and finding the best settings, which so far seem to be slower speeds and cranking up,the power until it cuts through (not going for 100% and working down) . We have had lots of questions and have found the forum really useful, but I am sure we will have lots more.

Louise
Spooky

Re: Hi from Staffordshire

Post by Spooky »

Not unusual Louise if there is any dirt on the mirror, the beam heats the dirt and cracks the glass.

The glass based lens on the 30 series isn't very resistant to heat if it is subjected to any, it's not the matter of them being bad just that they are quite reasonably priced items (hence cannot meet the same specs as the MO or Si mirrors) I've seen one 3020 with a hole cut in the mirror due to dirt :)

best wishes

Dave
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
PhillyDee

Post by PhillyDee »

Could have cracked it screwing it back into the holder.

I done it! Totally shattered it by being cack handed.
http://www.tmbelectronics.com - Electronics, tools, hobby tools, power tools, and much more!

An ex LS3020 user now playing with an LS6840PRO (60W) and an LS1290PRO (80W)
davincicrafts

Post by davincicrafts »

We hadn't actually unscrewed it before - only took it out last night when we noticed the crack (only run the machine for less than 10 hours at moment). Have spoken to Simon at HPC who seemed surprised that it had happened - just waiting to order a new one. Want to get back to cutting again - really enjoying it so far - the results are brilliant.
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

with only 10 hours on it that is unusual, possibly just a duff mirror.

best wishes

Dave
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
davincicrafts

Post by davincicrafts »

Well just to play it safe I have ordered myself a complete set of optics. Hopefully they will be here soon so I can get cutting again :-)