mould in the water tubes!

Moderators: HPC, Daven

kelly

mould in the water tubes!

Post by kelly »

Ok I feel really stupid asking but can mould be removed from the water tubes? if so what's best to use?
I had my laser installed in march, the chiller was delayed so it was set up using the container they supply. To cut a long story short I've finally got round to getting started but noticed where the water has sat in the tubes it`s gone abit black. I assume you can take them off to clean although some are on there pretty tight, I`m scared I`m gonna break it. :( That's probably why it`s taken me so long to get started, cause I`m so worried I`m going to bust the tube!(by missing a bubble ) once I've had ago I`ll be fine.
So I would appreciate any help so I can get cracking.
Thanks in advance,
Kelly
Lightnin

Re: mould in the water tubes!

Post by Lightnin »

Which machine/tube do you have ?
Talk to HPC, and see if there is any metal in the tube cooling system. and tell them what you want to do.
If the tube (laser) is safe, you can add a bit of milton or similar to the water till it clears, then flush it out with distilled water.

The pump parts "might" react slightly to the milton, but that should be a problem for a quick clean, but the tube is more expensive !

if you do need to remove the hoses to clean them, try a hair drier to warm the hose ends which will soften them .. but still be very careful.. I still get nervous pulling hoses of Tubes !
kelly

Post by kelly »

Hi,
I have a 3060 with a 40 watt tube.

Its the water hoses/pipes that have the mould in certain parts not the laser glass tube itself. Sorry I'm a nervous newbie that doesn't no what to call them! I just didnt want to run it and bits then get into the glass tube for then this to cause problems.
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

try a hair drier to warm the hose ends which will soften them
err no don't

The water connection is the highest stress part of the tube, you don't want to be applying heat to that in any way.

Where are you in the UK Kelly?
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
Tom

Post by Tom »

Hi Kelly
How far as the algae gone through the silicone pipes
If it's only the outer pipes then just take then off the back of the machine and clean in warm (not hot) water
If It's all the way through and you don't want to touch the tube call hpc and ask if someone can do it for you

Tom
kelly

Post by kelly »

Hi,

I'm in Essex so not close to hpc.
I can't put any pics on as the file is to big. Basically its not connected to any water supply , so its in the pipes under the bed and at the back which connects to the laser tube.
I think what I just want to clarify is am I OK to take these tubes off to try and clean them up, if so is it with just warm water or something else? the pipe leading to the laser tube ,is this safe to pull off( obviously very carefully! )
Or do I have to buy new ones,
Or have I got to leave it and phone hpc to come + sort it for me ( please tell me its something I can do myself! )
Am I right in thinking that I can't use it till i've sorted the pipes out?
Thanks
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

Hi Kelly,

It's fine to take them off, the tube does get a bit sticky at the joints but just roll it from the end and it tends to come off quite easily.

To keep the water clean I use 1 teaspoon of pool cleaner (Chlorine granules) added to the water in mine but if you do that be a little careful as Chlorine isn't nice stuff to breathe in (it comes as a powder from places like B&Q) Look for a tub called "Clearwater". Its about £7 and will last years :)
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
Tom

Post by Tom »

Just be careful with the milton/bleach/ Chlorine etc
Don't mix it too strong it will bugger the impaler in the pump
and you'll go from black crud to a white crust

Tom
kelly

Post by kelly »

Thanks guys, :D

That's cheered me up :D .
I've got some of the granules , from when we set up the kids pool last year.
So this is OK then to put in the chiller?

Thanks again so much for your advice its such a relief.

Kelly :)
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

just 1 teaspoon Kelly, Chlorine kills pretty much everything right down to bacteriological level. Mix it with half a cup of hot water first to make sure it dissolves properly, allow to cool then add to chiller water :)

Bleach / Milton works but has other additives that will indeed affect mechanical parts but granulated "Chlorine" forms HOCL that won't affect any metallic or plastic parts :)

My chiller units all use it these days, the water stays pure and clear for literally years at a time using it.
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk