Couple of questions to all LS3020 users

Moderators: HPC, Daven

sam

Couple of questions to all LS3020 users

Post by sam »

Hi,

I'm interested in getting hold of the base LS3020 model and will be going for a demo in a couple of weeks time. I've been asking the HPC crew a few questions via email regarding cooling etc, and I wondered what any existing users setup's looked like?

I now know you need to submerge the pump in a tank that can hold at least 35 litres. What do existing users use for this?

If you have any photos of your setup, any useful tips, or links to anything else which could be handy, that would be much appreciated.

cheers

Sam
Daven

Re: Couple of questions to all LS3020 users

Post by Daven »

HPC did have some nice black storage boxes that are great for this. I still use one with 3 pumps - one each for the lasers and one for the chiller (some chillers have their own pump).

I ran the 3020 without a chiller for a while but in summer could only use it for a couple of hours at most depending on what I was doing.

If you don't get one with the laser any diy store will have something similar, cut hole in the lid for the plugs and piped and your home and dry.

Cheers
Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Kris

Post by Kris »

I use a clear Ikea storage box with lid, which is kept under my desk, I think it's about 16L capacity. I think the water tubes are a good length, but the power lead for the pump isn't too long so I had to mount the water box on top of something else to keep it close to the machine. I drilled two holes in the lid for the tubes, and put a couple of caps of Milton in to help stop any buildup of gunk. The box is cuboid so the suction cups on the pump attach nicely and keep it in place - I also try to keep the pump constantly submerged at the bottom of the water box so I don't introduce air bubbles.

But I agree with Daven, in the summer it gets warm fairly quickly if I'm using it for more than a few hours. I usually just crack the lid open and throw in a couple of ice blocks from the freezer, but if you're using it for any length of time it'll be worth getting a chiller.
Thanks

Kris
---------------
LS3020, 35w tube
Macbook Pro, Illustrator CS6
Windows XP, NewlyDraw 1.5
exengrav

Post by exengrav »

Always use a black water container. No light means no bacterial growth and contamination. I use a full size black dustbin with tight lid, a small hole cut for the tubes. I only change the water by routine, not necessity. The last water was still clean after 12 months.
sam

Post by sam »

Hi,

Thanks for all the tips, much appreciated. (I'll remember to tick to notify myself about replies this time).

HPC told me that the best route is to use distilled or de-ironised water for cooling. Any tips on the best place to purchase large amounts such as 25/30 litres?. I took a look on EBAY etc, and there seems to be a few options.

On the cutting front, what is the smoke output when cutting say 5mm mdf?

If for example I cut a 30mm diameter circle in the MDF, then cut a 30mm diameter circle out of 3mm acrylic, would the cut be nice and neat enough for the 30mm acrylic disc to drop into the 30mm hole in the MDF?.

Thanks again,

cheers

Sam
Daven

Post by Daven »

Hi Sam - I used to get a 25ltr drum from local motor factors but where I am now only in 5ltr from the local petrol stations. I use De-ironised ;)

MDF smokes more than acrylic and a bit more than laser ply. You don't want to be in the same room without it extracting out side!

There is a small kerf to the laser beam so depending on how accurate you want the insert to be you may have to make the insert a little larger (turn one of the bit upside down too as there is a small taper).

Best
Dave
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
sam

Post by sam »

Daven wrote:Hi Sam - I used to get a 25ltr drum from local motor factors but where I am now only in 5ltr from the local petrol stations. I use De-ironised ;)

MDF smokes more than acrylic and a bit more than laser ply. You don't want to be in the same room without it extracting out side!

There is a small kerf to the laser beam so depending on how accurate you want the insert to be you may have to make the insert a little larger (turn one of the bit upside down too as there is a small taper).

Best
Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply.

Extracting won't be a problem, I have nice access to the outside from where I plan on keeping the cutter. I had heard there is a slight kern to cut pieces. That's not so bad as I'm not planning to go for millimetre precise work, just need to sit well.

Have you had much experience with engraving on mdf and acrylic? I wondered how far down the engraving goes?

cheers

Sam
Daven

Post by Daven »

The depth of the engraving is determined by the material, speed and power you use. The 3020 will engrave quite deep if required - enough to make rubber stamps etc ;)

The deeper you go the more power and lower speed required - good air assist is handy when engraving wood.

Best
Dave
sam

Post by sam »

Daven wrote:The depth of the engraving is determined by the material, speed and power you use. The 3020 will engrave quite deep if required - enough to make rubber stamps etc ;)

The deeper you go the more power and lower speed required - good air assist is handy when engraving wood.

Best
Dave
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply. Good to hear that it can vary in-depth according to the settings.

cheers

Sam
Lightnin

Post by Lightnin »

if you have a GSF near you ..
http://www.gsfcarparts.com/982aa0072

they regularly have 25-25% off too if you register