Couple of questions to all LS3020 users

Moderators: HPC, Daven

sam

Re: Couple of questions to all LS3020 users

Post by sam »

Lightnin wrote:if you have a GSF near you ..
http://www.gsfcarparts.com/982aa0072

they regularly have 25-25% off too if you register
Hi Lightnin,

Thanks for the link, will check to see what's nearest to me.

cheers

Sam
sam

Post by sam »

Hi,

Have any 3020 users had experience in cutting materials such as fabric? I think I saw a video of some leather being cut on the HPC facebook page a little while ago, so I wondered if other materials could be cut?

I'd imagine if you lightly stuck some material to a piece of board, it would stop any potential warping when holes were cut.

cheers

Sam
KyC

Post by KyC »

exengrav wrote:Always use a black water container. No light means no bacterial growth and contamination. I use a full size black dustbin with tight lid, a small hole cut for the tubes. I only change the water by routine, not necessity. The last water was still clean after 12 months.
Hi there exengrav - QQ (Hope you dont mind Sam!) - Chris explained I can use normal water but needed to change it every three weeks. Are you using normal water or deionised?

Thanks
Tom

Post by Tom »

Hi Kyc
If you are in a hard water area no
I'm in a soft water area but the water is very acidic (drops below 4ph when the buffers drop out ) and go's slimy
So i have to use deionizes water
I would recommend deionizes or distilled and a black tub
Daven

Post by Daven »

De-ionised water is less conductive as well so I prefer it to tap water!

Sam - fabric can be cut but some work better than others. Anything very flammable needs to be watched, anything that has PVC is hazardous and anything with high proportion of natural wool stinks and stays stinky!

Acrylic felt works well.

Best
Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
sam

Post by sam »

Daven wrote:De-ionised water is less conductive as well so I prefer it to tap water!

Sam - fabric can be cut but some work better than others. Anything very flammable needs to be watched, anything that has PVC is hazardous and anything with high proportion of natural wool stinks and stays stinky!

Acrylic felt works well.

Best
Dave
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the material tips. Will make sure to refer to these when thinking of possible material cuts.

cheers

Sam
KyC

Post by KyC »

Thanks Tom and Dave for your replies! (Sorry Sam for jumping on your thread)
sam

Post by sam »

KyC wrote:Thanks Tom and Dave for your replies! (Sorry Sam for jumping on your thread)
No probs, the answers helped me out also. All good.
Kris

Post by Kris »

Cheers for the tip exengrav, I read about someone using an old olive drum for water, thin and tall with big handles, I've seen them on eBay for about £10-20 delivered, so that might be an idea.

Halfords have de-ionised water for car batteries, and the larger Tesco stores will stock it in their car and bike maintenance section. I think the 2.5l containers were about £1.20, something like that.

I cut fabric fairly regularly, thick synthetic felt is great because the edge 'seals' - things like denim tend the fray after cutting, as you'd expect. You can also do a raster etch on the surface of denim too with very light settings (as you would for etching card, for example), makes a nice effect. I've done some old curtains, some sort of viscose based fabric sheet, various cottons and tweed. I've etched leather notebooks and also managed to cut shapes out of thin leather, but I found leather varies massively so it's hard to pin down consistent settings. But Daven's right, check for PVC - for example, Moleskine notebooks are usually PVC based, not leather, so give off poisonous fumes.
Thanks

Kris
---------------
LS3020, 35w tube
Macbook Pro, Illustrator CS6
Windows XP, NewlyDraw 1.5
sam

Post by sam »

Kris wrote:Cheers for the tip exengrav, I read about someone using an old olive drum for water, thin and tall with big handles, I've seen them on eBay for about £10-20 delivered, so that might be an idea.

Halfords have de-ionised water for car batteries, and the larger Tesco stores will stock it in their car and bike maintenance section. I think the 2.5l containers were about £1.20, something like that.

I cut fabric fairly regularly, thick synthetic felt is great because the edge 'seals' - things like denim tend the fray after cutting, as you'd expect. You can also do a raster etch on the surface of denim too with very light settings (as you would for etching card, for example), makes a nice effect. I've done some old curtains, some sort of viscose based fabric sheet, various cottons and tweed. I've etched leather notebooks and also managed to cut shapes out of thin leather, but I found leather varies massively so it's hard to pin down consistent settings. But Daven's right, check for PVC - for example, Moleskine notebooks are usually PVC based, not leather, so give off poisonous fumes.

Thanks for the materials tips Kris, much appreciated.

Looking forward to getting a demo of the LS3020 in the next few weeks when they have new stock in.