Hi from Simon

Moderators: HPC, Daven

Simond

Hi from Simon

Post by Simond »

Good evening all.

I have just acquired a second hand 3020, and hope to use it for model making. I have an ancient copy of TurboCAD with which I am very familiar, and which I intend to generate the artwork in DXF format.

So far, I have installed the laser on a bench, and got the water and ventilation sorted.

I have installed Newlydraw, and seem to be able to at least get the image of a DXF file to appear on the screen, but haven't managed to get the computer and laser talking to one another yet. Ran out of time today.

Few questions:

Is it normal for an imported DXF to be centred at approximately X 1200, Y 1600?

Is it normal for the image box to be huge? Like say 2400 X 1500? The actual image fits easily on a A4 page. Is this caused by TurboCAD or Newlydraw? There is no "image box" in TurboCAD, but there appears to be in Newlydraw.

Is there an easy way to "find" the image? So far I seem to be moving around almost at random until I can see something and then moving it into the drawing area.

Are the laser drivers on the Newlydraw cd? It seems to go straight into auto launch when inserted, and it's all in Chinese. If not, where do I download them from?

Will the software run on W7 or must it be run on XP?

Is there an alternative set of software that will work with my machine? And on W7?

Any guidance welcome!

Thanks
Simon
Daven

Re: Hi from Simon

Post by Daven »

Hi Simon,
Welcome ;)

There should be drivers that you install to control the 3020 - is it the USB version? I may have the drivers somewhere if so - PM me your email.

Newlydraw should work ok on 32bit win 7 (I did when I had it) but there is no alternative (without ripping the machine apart and re-building with new components).

The sizing sounds like it is TuboCad (I have not used it so can't help) - if you can set the page size to say 400 x 300mm it may help.

Best
Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Simond

Post by Simond »

Daven

Thanks for the drivers - I have now got comms between laser and laptop.

I have scorched some cardboard, nothing useful yet - but we're making progress

Your support much appreciated
Simon
Daven

Post by Daven »

Hi Simon, that's a good start ;)
Cheers
Dave
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Simond

Post by Simond »

More progress today, Howard the guy from whom I bought the laser, popped round today and clarified a few things.

I etched a panel of brickwork. Looks really good. Now I need to get the cut & etch worked out, and then we'll be in business!!!

Best
Simon
Simond

Post by Simond »

Daven

Just to say thanks once again. Up & running.

Photos at http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... ?p=2244755

All the best
Simon
Daven

Post by Daven »

Hi Simon - that's great, well done and thanks for sharing the photos, great work there! :-)

Best
Dave
exengrav

Post by exengrav »

Sorry if I am the bearer of bad news Simon, But in my knowledge of Newlydraw, a combined cut - engrave file is not possible. It will only perform either on its own. There is no layers facility. If anybody knows otherwise, than I will be delighted to know, and may get more use from my neglected ( and replaced by machines with laser cut ) 4030.
Daven

Post by Daven »

There isn't layers as such but you use the cut order instead. Takes a bit longer than LaserCut but using the combine and split tools (depending on the drawing) you can soon set the plan up. If you need time to change the power, set up an area you can engrave a shape before moving on to the cut objects.

LaserCut is better but ND had a couple of things I wish LaserCut had!

Best
Dave
sam

Post by sam »

Simond wrote:Daven

Just to say thanks once again. Up & running.

Photos at http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... ?p=2244755

All the best
Simon

Hi Simon,

Great work by the way, love the detail and finish.

I spied in the photo you took (on the RM web forum) that you look to have a handy guide to what looks like cutting speeds and power for the ls3020? -

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... ?p=2252339

Is is possible you could share that info, or is it available somewhere?

cheers

Sam