4 Mirror Alignment Nightmare

Moderators: HPC, Daven

gavspav

4 Mirror Alignment Nightmare

Post by gavspav »

So I'm trying to align the mirrors on my HX3040.
And there are not just three but four of them!
2 fixed mirrors - see my fairly ropey diagram here

I'm finding it very hard to set the second mirror up so that it hits the third at the same point all along the gantry.
And what I am thinking is, if I don't get Mirror #2 in the correct 'y' position, it is impossible to align the mirrors.
But I am not sure how to do this except using trial an error.
A process I have already tried for more time than I care to admit - its like I'm stuck in some kind of boot loop!
To make matters worse when I undo the locknuts the mirror flaps around a bit so I have to tighten them each time.

I'm going to get quite a sense of achievement if I ever manage to do this!

Can anyone offer any advice or sympathy before I try the sledgehammer on it or myself!?!
gavspav

Re: 4 Mirror Alignment Nightmare

Post by gavspav »

Getting there now. Just got the vertical alignment to go!
There is no adjuster on the mirror in the head so not sure what to do - perhaps a bit of blutac or something.
Haven't actually googled for a solution yet.

The two fixed mirrors weren't as much of a problem as I thought due to my misunderstanding of how light travels.
Still an absolute nightmare though!
Daven

Post by Daven »

Sorry - I can't help with the mirrors - bad enough with 3!

For the mirror in the head, it sounds like the same as the 3020 - use a bit of card to shim it, blu-tak may melt and mess up the mirror!

Best
Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Tom

Post by Tom »

The first mirror is just to get the beam into the cabinet and normally doesn't need moving
And Dave is right you might need to shim the 4th mirror
Its a long time since i have seen a old style 3040 but i think you need a 5.5mm spanner and a couple cups of tea
gavspav

Post by gavspav »

I got the vertical alignment nearly right without shimming and thought I'd give it a go.
First the laser didn't fire because there is a dodgy connection somewhere but I wiggled that.
Then the beam was all over the place. Wouldn't go back to where it started and wouldn't cut a proper circle.
I thought maybe the beam was bouncing off the air assist nozzle(the whole reason for this saga) but it wasn't.
Then I remembered I'd crashed the motors a couple of time so wondered if it was that.
Tightened the belt which seemed loose and that made it alot better.
My circles were still oval though - just about to reach for the sledgehammer when I realized it was actually an oval in software!!
Phew. Connected my air assist and voila - I think its actually working!!!
Daven

Post by Daven »

Well done ;)
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC