Hello from sunny Lincolnshire

Moderators: HPC, Daven

boneyboy

Hello from sunny Lincolnshire

Post by boneyboy »

Hi all,

Newbies, but very excited newbies here. Got ourselves a new 6090 setup with an 80w upgrade - very impressed so far. Only been doing this since Feb this year (we are graphic designers, creatives, and printers, not sign makers) and really happy with what we've been turning out. However I do have a couple of (possibly newbie) questions please:

1. When engraving coloured laminate, particularly black/white or black/red stuff, what is the best way to completely remove/clean off the dust from the engraved area to stop it 'colouring' or staining the white or red engraved areas.? We've tried hand hoovering and then 99% IPA but it really does need some elbow grease to clean them up properly as some of our designs have large areas engraved out. Not such a problem on *anycolour*/black laminate but anything with a lighter base colour (included a metal-look/light blue we used today) is a nightmare to clean.

2. After cleaning a plate (as above or even anything with a black base) the base colour seems 'dull'.? Sprayed with IPA looks fab... wipe it off to clean the plate and the coloured elements always look a bit 'dull' or lacklustre. Is there anything that can be done/used to make the colour pop.?

FYI we have been using Rowmark Lasermax and IPI laminates, so its not a cheap laminate (or so I'm lead to believe).

Thanks guys and gals.

TONY
Got me a nice LS6090 :-)
Daven

Re: Hello from sunny Lincolnshire

Post by Daven »

Hi Tony,
Welcome ;)

Do you take the protective covering off the laminate? If not try it - I use masking/transfer paper which helps is you are not melting a plastic into the laminate.

You can try cutting the part first, peeling the covering off and spray with a furniture polish a then engraving.

Wurth industry cleaner is good for cleaning acrylic and laminate!

Best
Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
boneyboy

Post by boneyboy »

Hi Dave

We do take the protective cover off when engraving yes, but we cut the shape first with with protective covering on to project the cut edges.

"...peeling the covering off and spray with a furniture polish a then engraving." As in a Pledge or Mr Sheen kinda spray.? Interesting. How does that help may I ask.?

Wurth industry cleaner - not used that so thanks for the heads up. I'll get some and give it a try.

Cheers
TONY
Got me a nice LS6090 :-)
Daven

Post by Daven »

The polish (yes any silicone based polish but let it settle and wait for any propellants to clear) makes it easier to clean the dust off and stops it sticking - I prefer to use a masking paper, engrave then cut - costs more but saves time unless there is a lot of detail!

For the engraved areas - brush dust off and use the IPA then peel the masking off

Cheers
Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC