Lasercut Crashes and How to stop them.

Moderators: HPC, Daven

JamesW

Lasercut Crashes and How to stop them.

Post by JamesW »

Hi All,

I use a setup whereby I run Windows inside Virtualbox, which is very up-to-date.

Recently I've been experiencing nasty Lasercut 5.3 crashes.

When I say nasty, they're the worst type. Instant black screen, laptop unusable and completely insensible (not just unresponsive to keystrokes - also uncontactable via network - just utterly frozen!) For the last couple of weeks I've been experiencing this crash once or twice a day - sometimes more often. The only thing for it is to hard power off and restart. Thank goodness for journaling filesystems.

They happen at the exact moment that you attempt to save an ECP or export a MOL, and they're very annoying. However, I think I've solved them. (Three crash-free days now!)

The cause, if I'm right, is trivial. A wobbly USB port! I've attached a zip-tie to my USB cable, into which I plug my ridiculous-and-should-be-unnecessary Lasercut soft-dog. I have a desk arrangement that now means the dongle and the cable are attached completely firmly, and there's no ambiguity in them being connected. No crashes, thanks to a 0.9p zip-tie!

However, this does point up that Lasercut 5.3, while functional, is tired and old-fashioned, and we really should have had an upgrade to a dongle-free system by now. And for anyone paranoid about software security, I'd remark:

1. Lasercut 5.3 just isn't good enough to be pirated by end users. It's old and ludicrously clunky. The Engrish error messages are an unending source of amusement!

2. The laser is the dongle. If you're a paranoid software manufacturer, worried that other laser companies will build competing lasers and supply them with your software, ripped off, then build the security into the laser's controller board.

3. The more users have access to good laser software, the more demand there'll be for lasercutters.

Cheers!

James
Daven

Re: Lasercut Crashes and How to stop them.

Post by Daven »

There is an dongle less upgrade but you need to upgrade the motherboard. That is the way it is I'm afraid.

Best
Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
JamesW

Post by JamesW »

Hi Dave,

Interesting! I have lots of questions!

What new mainboard is recommended?
What does the mainboard upgrade do for you?
How much does it cost?
Does it unlock software other than Lasercut?
Does HPC supply this upgrade?
Will they fit it?
How much?

Cheers!

James
Daven

Post by Daven »

Hi James - give HPC a call.

I do not know that much about it other than the basics - like most things there are advantages and disadvantages to some of the changes Letro have made ;)

Best
Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC