Image DXF Conversion - Sorry :-(

Moderators: HPC, Daven

Traynor26

Image DXF Conversion - Sorry :-(

Post by Traynor26 »

Hi All,

i really have waited a good few days before posting this question, i have found a few topics about it on here but none have solved my problems. Apologies if this is asked all the time, I'm not a computer biff but can't seem to get my images to 'simulate' successfully in LaserCut 5.3

I'll list below what different procedures i have been doing an maybe someone can call me all the names under the sun and see any blatant mistakes I'm making :o :o

I have someone that 'designs' my images in PNG format for me, i have attached the sort of image i am trying to engrave below:

First Method:

1) I converted the PNG using Magic Vector.
2) Saved as DXF.
3) Opened DXF file in LaserCut 5.3
4) Select all.
5) Unite lines using 0.1 as tolerance.
6) Click Simulate and get the 'Warning, you have overlapping lines etc etc'
7) Tried this same method using 0.2, 0.3, 0.4 tolerance etc etc - Same Problem. :oops: :oops:

Second Method:

1) Open PNG in CoralDraw 6.
2) Trace image in CoralDraw.
3) Export as DXF using AutoCad 2000 as setting.
4) Opened DXF file in LaserCut 5.3
5) Select all.
6) Unite lines using 0.1 as tolerance.
7) Click Simulate and get the 'Warning, you have overlapping lines etc etc'
8) Tried this same method using 0.2, 0.3, 0.4 tolerance etc etc - Same Problem. :oops: :oops:

Am i asking the software to do too much? I'm really hoping I'm just being a complete biff!!

Has been driving me mad for about 5 days now.

Any help is appreciated.
Relative Newbie, running Lasercut 5.3 on a LS3060 60w.......and a shiny LS1290 on its way
Traynor26

Re: Image DXF Conversion - Sorry :-(

Post by Traynor26 »

Wont let me upload the image

But its like this but much 'sharper' and vectorised

http://www.reubique.com/links.11.jpg
Relative Newbie, running Lasercut 5.3 on a LS3060 60w.......and a shiny LS1290 on its way
Traynor26

Post by Traynor26 »

Ok,

just had a complete Eurkea moment, typical that i manage to sort it after poring my heart out on here lol.

For some reason my PNGs were not transparent, so after a bit of 'background erasing' in Photoshop, then back in CorelDraw for tracing, then back into 5.3............Boom!!!!

It simulates perfectly. :D :D :D
Tom

Post by Tom »

Glad you sorted it
I fined vector magic leaves multiple layers and you have to delete these too unite lines
can't say anything about corel has i don't use it
You could try check data before you unite lines
Tom
Traynor26

Post by Traynor26 »

Thanks Tom,

Im learning slowly, but i must admit, today felt like id won the lottery lol.

Open to suggestion as to what other people use, i also find that Vector Magic does give me double layers, found this out the hard way when i was engraving a logo on my machine engraver (Roland EGX)...........took me 2 weeks to realise that it had been engraving the whole image twice :oops: :oops: :oops: Wandered why it was taking so long..............you live and learn!
TimBobTastic

Post by TimBobTastic »

I use Inkscape to convert image files to vectors and then save the file as a dxf.... This is purely theoretical at the moment as my LS3060 is not being installed until Thursday.

Would converting the image to BMP work just as well if you are only using it for engraving?
LS3060 PLUS with a 60w tube, Chiller and Bofa filter :-)
Online Store http://www.t2kreations.co.uk
Personal Website... http://www.timbobtastic.com
Traynor26

Post by Traynor26 »

That's an idea, I'll certainly give that a go, will also look into Inkscape. I'm trying to use as few allocations as possible :o

Trying not to overload an already slow windows machine, breaking me not being able to use my Mac lol.

My machine is being fitted on Wed, just trying to get ahead on some designs and learn the software before (Yep, I'm pretty impatient :lol: )
Daven

Post by Daven »

LaserCut will engrave from JPG, BMP or PNG plus a few others if saved correctly - there is no need to convert to DXF unless you want to cut any of the lines. If it is just the outside of the badge, create a copy, fill in all the white areas and then create the dxf from that. I use R2V from Mr-soft which is quite good.

Converting to DXF, as Tom says, often means extra layers and objects that need cleaning up. Draftsight or DoubleCad are both free and handy for doing such.

Best
Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Traynor26

Post by Traynor26 »

Ah seen,

thanks Dave, i'll go and try that, most of my work will be engraving.................will well and truly kick myself if I've spent 5 days faffing with DXF files for know real reason lol.

All an education though :D :D
Traynor26

Post by Traynor26 »

Dave,

I am sending you a virtual kiss right now!!!!

All my images now work perfectly!!

So again, just to be clear and forgive my ignorance..........I could do all my work in PhotoShop (it's what I'm used to), save as either PNG or BMP (which one is better??), and then just open in Laserscript and engrave?

If I have that right I'm going to skip all day long :-)