38.1 mm Lens

Moderators: HPC, Daven

Burcot

38.1 mm Lens

Post by Burcot »

Hello everyone - I have spent a lot of time browsing but, this is my first post :)
I am using a LS3060 with the 60 watt upgrade

I read that a 38.1mm lens may improve the quality of white card cutting. I went ahead and purchased the new lens from HPC but - I have a couple of questions

1: The new lens is 20mm diameter, the original 50mm lens is 18mm
The old lens sits within an O ring whilst the new lens will not fit. I can seat the lens over or under the O ring and wondered which is correct (if any)

2: To achieve focus with the new lens, I have to raise the bed to it's highest point and then sit the card on 3mm MDF/Acrylic to raise it further
The lens cone has to be removed to achieve this extra close proximity. I wondered if anyone could point me in the right direction because, it would seem I am doing something wrong lol

Many thanks - Mark
Daven

Re: 38.1 mm Lens

Post by Daven »

On the 3060 you can lift the honeycomb bed out and put blocks under it (make sure the are all the same size) - this will lift the height up but as you have found out the nozzle will hit material if you datum the bed. If you have done a ramp test there is not a lot you can do other than make a new nozzle that is shorter.

I would take the o ring out and cut a new one if necessary - the o ring helps to centralise the lens but may also help to stop compressing the lens too much (I never tighten the lens holder too much). You could cut a new ring if necessary from fab foam.

Best
Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Burcot

Post by Burcot »

Thanks for the quick reply Dave - makes perfect sense!

Does anyone know if a shorter nozzle is available to buy off the shelf?
Daven

Post by Daven »

No problems - as far as I know there is not a shorter nozzle available that could fit! There are some places that sell the complete head with different designs (mainly for the K40 or 3020 machines) but I suspect the thread is smaller.

Best
Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Burcot

Post by Burcot »

Ok, thanks for your help Dave
TimBobTastic

Post by TimBobTastic »

it may be worth asking in your local Model Engineer forums, there is bound to be someone local to you who would be willing to make something to a drawing for a few beer tokens... If I still had access to machine tools, I would have been more than willing to help... The best I can offer is 3D printed in ABS... but I do not think that would be advisable.. heat.. and plastic are not the best ingredients for structural integrity / fire safety
LS3060 PLUS with a 60w tube, Chiller and Bofa filter :-)
Online Store http://www.t2kreations.co.uk
Personal Website... http://www.timbobtastic.com