Fire :(

Moderators: HPC, Daven

llamalasers

Fire :(

Post by llamalasers »

Was cutting some black Perspex this afternoon and the next thing I know there is a big flame coming up against the lid, I managed to get the material out and put out the fire but the heat very quickly melted the connectors for the fluorescent tube so that's bust. The lid has a large melted mark.

I'm about to test the machine to see if there's any other issues, I'm in complete shock.

What is the usual cause?
What is the usual course of action to make sure the machine will be safe to use?

:cry:
60W LS6840 & CW4000
started out with LS3040
Daven

Re: Fire :(

Post by Daven »

Had the same happen to one of mine a few months ago!

Acrylic fumes are flammable if the speed is too slow or you are cutting small shapes close together it increases the risk. A flash off the bed can ignite the fumes and then start the sheet to catch fire.

Never leave the machine unattended is the best way to ensure it won't happen again.

Best
Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Lightnin

Post by Lightnin »

oh dear :-( you're not having much luck are you .

I'd add .. keep at least a 2kg fire extinguisher next to each machine (and know how to use it)
Even a bucket of sand would be better than nothing.

and also others in strategic places, depending on the size of the space you are working in.
If it all goes horrible wrong, you need to be able to get to an exit.

Hope the machine is ok, apart from the light. fitting a new light would be easy by any electrician.
llamalasers

Post by llamalasers »

I think it might have been due to cutting something too close to the next thing, what a harsh way to learn about that!

It wasn't unattended in that I was sat at my desk right near it but didn't notice. It had done it's 'finished' bleep and I was just tinkering with the next bits on the computer before I went to get the things out but heard a crackling sound and then swore loudly as I pushed the red button and lifted the lid.

I have a 2kg Co2 extinguisher next to the machine but made the instant decision not to use it as I was able to control the fire pretty quickly once discovered.

I'd like to replace the lid plastic, the blade table and the light, will give HPC a call tomorrow to see what the damage will be for those.

Good news is it appears to be working, thank f**k!
60W LS6840 & CW4000
started out with LS3040
llamalasers

Post by llamalasers »

:cry:
60W LS6840 & CW4000
started out with LS3040
Lightnin

Post by Lightnin »

glad it's working ok :-)

CO2 you can use without worry ..
it's the powder ones that make more mess than they save .. except when it saves your house !

Good luck with the clean up
llamalasers

Post by llamalasers »

Thanks!

I got the CO2 one when we got the new machine, had a powder one before and was aware it would be game over should have I had to use it.

Only problem having a CO2 tank at home is I'm forever tempted to do this with it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLNHDxd6nDc

:lol:

or this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XgRZRjyelw
60W LS6840 & CW4000
started out with LS3040
llamalasers

Post by llamalasers »

On closer inspection of the ECP file, I have found that the fire started around an item I had mistakenly copied and pasted on top of itself so it went over it twice.. I thought there was protection against this like in my thread before about the funny error but clearly this doesn't come up everytime.

Going to have to be extra careful.
60W LS6840 & CW4000
started out with LS3040
Daven

Post by Daven »

I only had a powder extinguisher - did make a mess but it cleaned up ok. CO2 is best.

It did bring it home to me how easy things can go wrong so quick. I had left it cutting away a job I had done many times but for some reason the head had come out of alignment and was cutting over the same lines!

Best
Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
llamalasers

Post by llamalasers »

Same cause of fire then, slightly different fault.

I reckon I double tapped paste when I was c&p'ing the vector on the sheet, then it got duplicated.

What a bloody mess eh.

Ah well, machine has been cutting well all evening so I'm not as upset as I would've been.

Feel lucky in a sense.
60W LS6840 & CW4000
started out with LS3040