LS3020 Uneven cut

Moderators: HPC, Daven

dreamcatcher

LS3020 Uneven cut

Post by dreamcatcher »

Hi all
We've had our LS3020 for about 6 weeks now and are having fun with it. So I'm a complete newbie! However we've noticed the cut and engraving are a bit uneven. It's ok at the top of the laser bed but by the time we get to the bottom part the engraving looks weaker and sometimes it doesn't cut right through (3mm birch).
I've tried running the engrave a second time at the bottom and repeating the cut but I still don't know why this is happening. My husband is more technically minded and has cleaned and aligned the mirrors and done a ramp test (we saw the info for that on this forum so thank you). As a result of the ramp test he lowered the bed a bit to 75mm and that improved things a bit but not completely solved.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions gratefully received. :)
dreamcatcher

Re: LS3020 Uneven cut

Post by dreamcatcher »

I should have said in case it helps , its the LS3020 LSCT running lasercut 5.3. I design using Corel Draw home edition.
Thanks

Pamela
Daven

Post by Daven »

Is the bed level? Check under it to make sure nothing has got under it? If you cut a circle in each corner do they all drop out?

If you immediately start engraving at the top of the sheet again is it ok or still weak? If so could be a cooling issue.

Best
Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
dreamcatcher

Post by dreamcatcher »

Thanks for the reply Dave. I really appreciate your help.
The cuts at the top drop out but at the bottom they don't unless I increase power or slow speed. The laser is in a shed outside and we have temp gauge that doesn't get above 18. The water is clean. The engraving at the top is fine but gets weaker the lower it goes.
The bed isn't completely level so we've put a couple of sticky pads at level it up a bit. The laser cutter is new (6 weeks ago) so has had very light use so far (although it has been by a newbie :oops: ).
What speed and power would you suggest for 3mm birch?

Thanks
Pamela
Daven

Post by Daven »

Hi Pamela,
That suggests the alignment is out - if the beam is entering the head center at each corner check the mirror in the head is ok and check the beam is in the center of the nose cone (put a bit of tape over the ena and press firmly so the outline is marked on the tape, test fire and remove the tape - it doesn't need to be 100% spot on but near enough).

I would think 12 mm/s at 65 % would be about right on a 40w ;)

Best
Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
dreamcatcher

Post by dreamcatcher »

Thanks very much I'll try that. I'm having to cut much slower than you suggest (around 7 mm at 70% to cut right through so hopefully when its sorted It'll be able to go a bit faster.

This forum is very helpful for us beginners so thanks. :)