Wool felt or synthetic?

Moderators: HPC, Daven

kreativkatie

Wool felt or synthetic?

Post by kreativkatie »

Hi,

I am looking for a supplier of felt to cut on my machine. Melange colours that are quite thick (3mm thick minimum). Any ideas of where to find it and should I be looking at 100% wool or synthetic fibres?
Thanks
Katie S
LS6090 80W
Daven

Re: Wool felt or synthetic?

Post by Daven »

I don't know of a supplier but wool felt stinks and stays smelly after cutting!

Recycled synthetic felt cuts well.

Best
Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Lightnin

Post by Lightnin »

also, I'm pretty sure , somewhere in my memory banks, I've read that burning wool gives off cyanide gas .
So worth checking and making sure you're extraction and ventilation is all spot on :-)
Lightnin

Post by Lightnin »

very quick google confirms, you should be careful ;)

http://www.fireengineering.com/articles ... ctics.html

"HCN is extremely toxic and seriously affects the body. Following are some facts about hydrogen cyanide3:
HCN is 35 times more toxic than CO.
HCN is produced when products such as wool, silk, cotton, nylon, plastic, and polymers, foam, melamine, polyacrylonitriles, and synthetic rubber burn.
HCN can enter the body by absorption, inhalation, or ingestion and targets the heart and brain.
HCN can incapacitate a victim within a short time.
HCN has a half-life of one hour in the blood.
HCN is highly flammable, and most of it will burn away during combustion.
"
Pedro_Hernandez

Post by Pedro_Hernandez »

I think you need to put it into context, we're not talking about any discernable levels of HCN being produced laser cutting and engraving sheeps wool felt. Maybe a warehouse or factory full of the stuff going up would pose a significant risk, which is more relevant to the link posted.

As for the smell and charing I believe there are ways to get rid of it, though best to vent to atmosphere I guess as even a filter unit won't take away the funky aromatics

Regards

Pedro
HPC1290 User HPC 3020 Owner
Daven

Post by Daven »

Pedro_Hernandez wrote: As for the smell and charing I believe there are ways to get rid of it, though best to vent to atmosphere I guess as even a filter unit won't take away the funky aromatics
Believe me the smell of a small bit of 100% sheep wool felt being cut (even in a well ventilated room) and the lingering memory is not something I will forget in a long time!! :lol:

Cutting acrylic and wood should be fine but common sense should prevail - any other material should be checked, if in doubt leave it out :)

Best
Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Lightnin

Post by Lightnin »

Pedro_Hernandez wrote:I think you need to put it into context, we're not talking about any discernable levels of HCN being produced laser cutting and engraving sheeps wool felt. Maybe a warehouse or factory full of the stuff going up would pose a significant risk, which is more relevant to the link posted.
Regards

Pedro
I wouldn't like to have thought it and not said anything !
Tom

Post by Tom »

wool stinks really bad, but not has bad has stingray skin :o
kreativkatie

Post by kreativkatie »

Thanks for all the advice. I've gone with polyester felt in the end, it's 3mm thick but having to inmport from holland. Though price is good and the quality it great as long as you order 10m ++
Cutting at so 2O power 22
Katie S
LS6090 80W