Weird Engraving Glitch and How to Fix It

Moderators: HPC, Daven

JamesW

Weird Engraving Glitch and How to Fix It

Post by JamesW »

Hello All,

Today I had a new issue, which I've not seen in more than five years of lasering.

Lasercut kept making files that my 3060s wouldn't engrave. Sometimes, press "test" and the file beeps "out" - it's asking the machine to engrave or cut outside the bed size. Once I generated a file that didn't beep out - instead, when I pressed "test" it carried the optics over the left-hand edge, bashing the blower nozzle. Pressed stop FAST. Ouch!

So I made a new test file. A square, 20mm x 20mm. Set it to cut. It cuts fine. Set it to engrave... Whammo! Exactly the same design won't engrave because it's too big for the bed. Doing a simulation, you can see the cutting head enter from somewhere very far away at the bottom left, and exit there too. Zooming out, it appeared to be infinitely far away.

So, I figured, something in the software preferences has misplaced the engraving origin as some mystery maths place in the Southwest. (Penzance maybe?)

Eventually I figured out a fix. Go into Lasercut's Machine-Options/Engraving Preferences, set the "Down-to-Up" preference to "Up-To-Down". Save. Simulate. Yes, now it's going Up-To-Down. Go back into the prefs, Reverse the setting to "Down-To-Up" again. Save. Simulate. Yes, it's back to "Down-to-Up" again.

Now everything's dandy. Clearly this procedure overwrote the chewed-up origin definition with the correct one. Job done.

Hope this helps!

James

P.S. Oliver at HPC was very helpful He provided a full downloadable copy of the software, so I could reinstall it. Fortunately, I didn't need to. But good to know that HPC can help!
Daven

Re: Weird Engraving Glitch and How to Fix It

Post by Daven »

Is that Lasercut 5.3?

I have not come across that before - only if the file is too large which sometime does daft things!

Good job on finding a solution ;)

Best
Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC