Quick Tip / Free CAD Software

Moderators: HPC, Daven

Spooky

Quick Tip / Free CAD Software

Post by Spooky »

http://www.3ds.com/products/draftsight/ ... raftsight/

I have no idea if it's any good yet but I've downloaded it and will post back in the next few days.

It's *supposed* to be a great AutoCAD clone but free .....

http://www.3ds.com/products/draftsight/ ... /features/

The above is a list of it's posted features, many are familiar to ACad users but I'm so far a little sceptical, My AutoCAD License costs £4,800 and this is DraughtSite is free so time will tell.

best wishes

Dave
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
Daven

Re: Free CAD Software / AutoCAD Clone

Post by Daven »

Thanks Dave,

Have downloaded and had a quick look. :) I use DoubleCad XT2 which is also free - no idea how they compare to Autocad from your point of view so will be intrested in your views ;-)

Cheers

Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

Now that was a supprise!!

I've just spent 6 hours playing with Draughtsite and the differences (for laser purposes) are minimal!

It has all the required stuff like PolyLine / Line / Shape but also has many of the autoCAD commands such as PEDIT and Explode etc.

The save format IS AutoCAD DXF format compatible and runs fine with the laser import function.

Ok it doesn't have a lot of the autocad advanced functions but it's free and being honest the chances of anybody with a laser needing to edit dynamic blocks or create hatch patterns is nill. It won't import LSP files (it's an autocad thing) but then again your never going to need them anyways.

Of all the Non AutoCAD packages I've tried over the years this is streets ahead of the competition (free stuff or paid)

I'm going to roll it out to my other cad guys and see if they can find any faults but for now it's lookinglike a very nice package.

best wishes

Dave
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
Daven

Post by Daven »

It's amazing how much good software is out there for free or reasonably priced, at long last! :-)

I dont' have a problem paying for software but I can't justify paying hundreds for something I would only use once in a while!

Good find Dave ;-)

Regards

Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

Daft thing is mate, the files that go to my big commercial clients have to be AutoCAD files even though other systems are compatible :(

If it's not generated by AutoCAD then the clients won't accept it :( costs me an arm and a leg each year to licence new versions :(

best wishes

Dave
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
StarLoc Adhesives

Post by StarLoc Adhesives »

It seems quite good,but ive not tried importing into newlydraw to cut yet but the rest of it seems good

theres so many file types all dxf......What type of file should i save as to be the right type for newlydraw?
Manufacturer of quality UK made adhesives since 1992 http://www.shop4glue.com and balsa model aircraft kits since 1988 http://www.FMKmodels.com

HPC hx3040
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

Hiya Star,

Version 2000 - 2002 binary DXF works well but don't save to anything later as it will cause legacy errors

best wishes

Dave
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk