Ensuring only cut lines once

Moderators: HPC, Daven

bobg

Ensuring only cut lines once

Post by bobg »

Hi

Cutting small intricate parts I found laser would make two or more 'passes' on some lines making them wider or even burning through thin parts completely. Also takes longer to cut job with extra laser time used.

I use CorelDraw to design. Checked these files and found the obvious! When, say, you draw two rectangles and bring them together side-by-side where they join there are two lines! Laser cuts these twice. This can happen with other shapes too. Solution is to ensure you delete one of the joint lines before saving file and sending to NewlyDraw and laser. Also make sure you have lines set to 'HAIRLINE' width when drawing or laser can make two, three or more passes.

BobG
LS3020 used for hobby - making model railway buildings/signals etc.
Daven

Re: Ensuring only cut lines once

Post by Daven »

Good tip Bob, Thanks

Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Spooky

Re: Ensuring only cut lines once

Post by Spooky »

Hiya Bob,

All cad packages do :) even the mighty AutoCAD (Read: bloody expensive autoCAD) will do the same,

There are two objects hence the machine will cut two objects even if they are on top of each other. Where possible draw a single box shape and on another layer draw the cut line that separates them (Turns it into two items). If the outer line is a PolyLine and the cut line a single it will run efficiently with minimal cut moves.

It can be annoying though, hunting through a drawing with no easy quick way of finding double entries on the same layer :(

best wishes

Dave
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk