NewlyDraw cutting questions on 3020

Moderators: HPC, Daven

miniaturemaniac

NewlyDraw cutting questions on 3020

Post by miniaturemaniac »

Thanks for the welcome to the forum.
I have been 'playing' with the software and have been (possibly) trying to run before I can walk.
I have imported a dxf file of a detailed frame. I want to engrave and cut. I have worked out how to select the bits I want to engrave (and the different modes) and the bit I want to cut.
Now the thing I want to know is -
is there a way in Newlydraw that I can tell the laser to cut 3 or more times (passes, as I think you call it) ONLY the cuts not the engraving.
Because what I am trying to cut is small and delicate I don't want to 'burn' the edge or have a thick 'cut' and of course if I have the power low it won't cut all the way through - infact it only really 'draws' a line.
I have only tried the power cranked up a tiny bit (possibly 15-20%) and it is just too thick and is ugly or maybe its me that's thick! Is it a speed thing - I had it set to 8? and I am only using 1/8th (not even quite that (thinner) ply) - I just presume the more power the thicker, blacker the cut line will be and that's no good for me!
I am getting lovely engraving but I just can't get the cut thing right.
I want to make engravings and cuts with 1/16th perspex and on fabrics with a pile, but I need to master which settings for cuts on wood first.
I do hope my 'problem' is just because I am new to this and that I need some kind person's guidance.
Regards
Sue :)
StarLoc Adhesives

Re: NewlyDraw cutting questions on 3020

Post by StarLoc Adhesives »

I searched for a way to do it in the settings on newlydraw and ended up either copying and pasteing 2 or 3 layers, get them in the same place by grouping them and using the same coordinates by typeing it in, or by clicking cut a second time it seems to cut in the same position every time

To reduce burn, have you tried turning power up and cutting much faster?
Manufacturer of quality UK made adhesives since 1992 http://www.shop4glue.com and balsa model aircraft kits since 1988 http://www.FMKmodels.com

HPC hx3040
miniaturemaniac

Thanks for reply
Thought that maybe the way to do it - just was hoping I might of missed something in program to make it easier.
How far can I 'crank' up the speed on 3020 - I don't want to damage anything? Manual has 25 as max. on example setting guidelines.
As I understand you - if I go faster speed and higher power this will reduce burn.
This is possibly where I am doing the reverse - idiot that I am.
I wound be grateful if you can tell me max speed though.
Regards
Sue
Daven

Post by Daven »

Hi Sue, welcome ;-) Yeah I do the same as Star.

If you can get the balance of engraving speed and cutting speed (both done via the 'Prop' option - top right of first pop-up window) - set scan speed fast and cut speed slow you may be lucky or at least just have two cut passes ;-)

Best

Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
bobg

Post by bobg »

Hi Sue

It sounds as though you are doing really well on your own! I've had my 3020 since February and am still experimenting!

Probably the best advice is to draw a small test piece and experiment with speed and power. A small piece can be moved around in Newlydraw so that on one A4 sheet of material you can make many tests of speed and power. As you have deducted a faster speed and higher power can sometimes be better than very low power and multiple passes - but sometimes not. The 'published' figures given by HPC in their literature are a guide only. You won't hurt the machine by trying different combination of speed power (and when engraving - Gap - the spacing of the lines when engraving - which is on the second setup screen in Newlydraw).

Make sure your air pump is on when cutting as I sometimes forget and that can create burn marks. I switch my light and air pump on and off together now so I don't forget.

Hope that helps a little.

Cheers
Bob
LS3020 used for hobby - making model railway buildings/signals etc.
miniaturemaniac

Thanks Guys
I will try out your recommendations tomorrow and let you know how I get on
Very grateful for your help and so prompt replies
Cheers

Sue
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

A quick thought Sue? what kind of plywood are you using?

best wishes

Dave
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
miniaturemaniac

Hi Dave
Its not laser ply - its just some hobby ply that I have in my stash so I know it won't be burn free but it seems whatever I try and cut on it is leaving burn marks and very thick lines.

The very first test piece I did was engrave and cut on 3 mm ply (not laser ply) - the engrave was spot on and the cut line was excellent - nice and thin - which suits my miniature creations, but of course it no way cut through - tried the same again but increased power for the cut - yuk it was 'orrible and thick and burnt edge (which I suspected would happen) but still didn't cut deep enough so I figured turning the power up even more would make it thicker and blacker!
This is why I thought maybe I have to several passes to keep this fine line I needed.
Regards
Sue
StarLoc Adhesives

Post by StarLoc Adhesives »

try unplugging the extractor fan , the machine will fill with smoke.....but you generaly get far less burn on the surface of materials ( but you may need to clean mirrors and lens more often )
Last edited by StarLoc Adhesives on Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Manufacturer of quality UK made adhesives since 1992 http://www.shop4glue.com and balsa model aircraft kits since 1988 http://www.FMKmodels.com

HPC hx3040
Daven

Post by Daven »

I find I can cut 3mm laser ply using around 5 turns on the pot (50%?) at speed of 10 - I went through the same learning curve as you Sue with my 3020, I would suggest cleaning the lens and check which way up it is - I did put some pictures up a while ago showing the steps required to clean the lens. EDIT - here is the post.

I don't turn off the extraction and keep an eye on the temp of the water - it can rise quite quick after engraving which as Dave (spooky) will tell you will not do the tube any good and affects the cut quality.

Another thing I use is 'transfer paper' - used for sign making and available on ebay. It is good for masking the wood when engraving.

Best

Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user