Flaming when cutting

Moderators: HPC, Daven

Mike

Flaming when cutting

Post by Mike »

I have recently had a problem trying to cut engraving stock and it would badly flame in one or two cut directions, damaging the stock .
It would cut fine in other directions though

I have managed to get around it by cutting the material back to front as it’s just the top coat that is burning, but this is not ideal. And I have thrown away ~£100 worth of material because of it.

Do I need more air flow to prevent burning? I would need to add another air pump to achieve this

I am assume the airflow out of the cone is not perfect, but there is no adjustment for it.

Thanks

Mike
johnb80

Re: Flaming when cutting

Post by johnb80 »

A compressor is the best way of providing air and it does make a considerable difference, I would suggest however that you check your existing equipment out first. I assume you have done this (or a similar job) before and now youre not getting the performance yo expected? Make sure pipes aren't kniked / blocked, air filters are clean and your extraction is up to scratch.

J
Mike

Post by Mike »

I did a service on all the connections, it improved slightly but is still not great, the machine I have has a small compressor, but is not adjustable like the bigger machines.

the air flow form the pump is almost the same as at the nossle, so I know I am not losing much flow through the system, I just don't think I have enough of it.
Daven

Post by Daven »

Hi Mike - what is the stock you are engraving? Also what speed and power settings do you use, what machine is it?

Cheers

Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
StarLoc Adhesives

Post by StarLoc Adhesives »

I sell plates for adding gauges into cars ,made from carbon look ABS plastic, to get no flames and a decent surface finish i had to alter hight i focus it at, set instead of focused on the top surface i set it so it focuses about half way through, gives a much better cut with no flames
Last edited by StarLoc Adhesives on Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Manufacturer of quality UK made adhesives since 1992 http://www.shop4glue.com and balsa model aircraft kits since 1988 http://www.FMKmodels.com

HPC hx3040
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi Guys

Its an LS3060 that I have.

The problem is with several materials I use, all 1.5mm or 1.6mm thick, the two most recent ones are:

Gravograph Ultra – black / white
908lt.com Brushed Gold / Black

I have also had the problem cutting painted acrylic before too.

I am pretty sure it not a material problem in that it works in 2 out of 4 directions with out flames, and it’s pretty consistent.
Also those materials I am using are intended for laser engraving / cutting.

I have tried lowering/raising the power and speed accordingly and still no luck. I work with this type of material all the time so kind of have speed/power settings almost pre set for different materials and colours, the gravograph brushed gold/black doesn’t flame in any direction and I use loads of that as long as I can get it, so there is something in the coatings that makes these two more sensitive? but I have a feeling that if the air was more consistent then it wouldn't be an issue

Really just want to know if more air will help, As I will just buy another air pump and run them in parallel when needed. Or am I missing something else?
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

More air will indeed halp Mike, I run a 7/100 SHHH compressor and get very little staining and no flaming on any of the materials I work with.

best wishes

Dave
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
Mike

Post by Mike »

Thanks Dave, Thats what I wanted to hear.

Cheers

Mike