Grade engrave and wood types

Moderators: HPC, Daven

The-Engraver

Grade engrave and wood types

Post by The-Engraver »

Hiya's.

2 Quick questions,

1) On my 6840 we have an option to "grade engrave", what is this used for and how does it differ to the "engrave" option? .................. (sneakily put two questions into the one) ;)

2) Anyone know of any good wood suppliers supplying wood suitable for engraving photo's on and what type would be best? ................. (Hehehe another sneaky double) :D

Thanks in advance

Gary
Daven

Re: Grade engrave and wood types

Post by Daven »

What sort of size wood did you have in mind? Did you want it prepared as in cut to shape and an edge routed?

I use alder, boxwood or beech - they work well. Teak and walnut tend to smoke a bit more due to the oils in them.

I get most of my stock from hardwood dealers such as Timberline or Styles and Bates and then cut and prepare it myself as it's cheaper and I can select the bit of wood that helps enhance the picture by using the grain. ;)

Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

Engrave produces a paralell cut from top to bottom, grade engrave produces a taper from top to bottom to strengthen items such as rubber stamps :)

best wishes

Dave
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
Al51Williams

Post by Al51Williams »

Hi Guys

Can you adjust the size of the taper, to get an obvious slope?

Alex
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

In theory yes,in practice reliably? no

best wishes

Dave
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
Al51Williams

Post by Al51Williams »

thanks Dave
Pedro_Hernandez

Post by Pedro_Hernandez »

In the "Set Egrave Options " dialog box in lasercut 5.3 have a play with grade width settings.
However I've found that the max and min power settings has just as a great effect on the grade width as well as the type of material used.

Regards

Peter
HPC1290 User HPC 3020 Owner