Groove

Moderators: HPC, Daven

The-Engraver

Groove

Post by The-Engraver »

Hi,
Is there a way of making grooves into something? for example if I wanted a slide door on the top of a pencil box.

Would I need to set the laser to cut but use lower power and higher speed or would I need to set it to engrave using slower speed and higher power?

(I am thinking the groove would be about 3.5mm in height using 3mm acrylic)

Thanks in advance

Gary
PhillyDee

Re: Groove

Post by PhillyDee »

I have thought of this, it would be an engrave sets to a slower speed that would do it for me. Would be a bit of trial and error though.
http://www.tmbelectronics.com - Electronics, tools, hobby tools, power tools, and much more!

An ex LS3020 user now playing with an LS6840PRO (60W) and an LS1290PRO (80W)
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

Hiya Gary,

It's possible to do it in one hit with engrave but variations in material make up and thickness mean the settings will be different every time. I had the same issue with a train model I've just finished and the Amityville House Model and in the end opted for a different solution.

best wishes

Dave
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
Bernie_of_CPE

Post by Bernie_of_CPE »

Hi Guys,

To be honest I have never managed to cut a grove effectively as the circumstances to make this happen are difficult to repeat two cuts in a row. So many variables will effect this, ambient temperatures of the air, water and material and the amount of water absorbed into the wood or acrylic makes it nigh impossible even with light cuts which take forever anyway.

It is probably best to cut strips and "build" a channel into the design, alternatively use a table saw or router if you have one. B&Q sell a plastic channel (in PVC I think) for display cabinets which can be screw mounted to chip board or MDF.
Best regards.

Bernie_of_CPE (Custom Product Engineering)