Power & Speed Settings for LS6840

Moderators: HPC, Daven

The-Engraver

Re: Power & Speed Settings for LS6840

Post by The-Engraver »

Hi TTK,

I also have the 60W 6840, it really is a good machine.

Over the next day or so I will e-mail all the settings i have been using, It will cover cutting, and engraving on a few materials.

I have put a new lens into my machine and it has worked a lot better since, I will mail you the old settings.

Regards

Gary
The-Engraver

Post by The-Engraver »

Hi,

Could you PM me your email please. The link to your website does not seem to be working.

Gary
tietheknot

Post by tietheknot »

Hi Spooky!
when you say "turned itself off" do you mean just gone ping and switched off or gone in to hibernation or blue screened? Also what operating system is it running?
Does the pc also have a normal printer attached / installed?
The pc has turned off before and the said 'the system has recovered from a system error' it's running windows xp version 2002 - sp 1
The pc is not connected to the internet or the printer, because it's a little old i didn't want to overdo it!

I cut a few shapes out in laser cut just to see sizes, i drew a 40x40 box that has come out 35x35, The 50x50 sample you provided me with, today came out at 49x49 and required two passes at S8 P50,

The power seems to be off, requiring two passes, could my mirrors be out? The only time the laser has been moved is just after we 1st got it, it was turned round in the same room to an opposite wall.
Is there a guide to aligning the mirrors? it looks terribly complicated!
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

Ahhh, with power settings like that the mirror alignment is almost certainly out,run one more at speed 16 power 80 and see if that cuts through reliably,it is unusual to have an imported file cut close to correct and a lasercut file cut so far out though...
Mirror alignment can cause size issues but not usually anywhere near those kind of numbers...but lets get the mirrors bang on first then worry about sizes :)

You will need some masking tape or 2 inch squares of thick card, if you can get those and get in front of the machine I should be able to talk you through alignment quite easily on the phone. If you want to call my number is in my signature or you can PM me a number I can call you on

best wishes

Dave
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
PhillyDee

Post by PhillyDee »

Mirror alignment is time consuming, but not overly difficult if you take your time. I also do astronomy as a hobby, and the first couple of times collimating your scope can take a long time, after that, it takes a few minutes. Once you have the knack, its actually quite easy.
http://www.tmbelectronics.com - Electronics, tools, hobby tools, power tools, and much more!

An ex LS3020 user now playing with an LS6840PRO (60W) and an LS1290PRO (80W)
tietheknot

Post by tietheknot »

Hello all,
spooky would i be able to give you a call today? I'm getting nowhere fast!
I have also noticed bubbles forming in the tube, i haven't used the laser because of this,

I'll attach some photos for you to have a look at,
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v330/ ... AG0144.jpg Bubble in the top of the tube
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v330/ ... 0145-1.jpg Lots of bubbles in the bottom of the tube!

Oh dear...
I'm a bit afraid to use anything at the moment!

Your wisdom is appreciated guys!
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

Hiya,

With bubbles like that DON'T start the machine, they are way to big and will cause the tube to fail.

I',m around anytime now if you want to call :)

best wishes

Dave
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
tietheknot

Post by tietheknot »

Hiya,
I will give you a call shortly about the mirrors, i have just changed the water and let it run for 5-10 minutes and the bubbles are all gone, phew!
Thought it was all going a bit wrong for a moment!

Laser ownership doesn't half take some getting used to...
tietheknot

Post by tietheknot »

Hi Guys,
Had a little problem today, i don't think my water pump is pumping water around the tube/laser
I was cutting something out earlier and i heard a crackle/pop noise, it wasn't loud but enough for me to spin round and press stop,
I sent another file to the laser & the head moved but no beam.
I removed the acrylic, turned the laser off, checked the connections and everything was fine, so out of curiosity i put a piece of acrylic over the chamber of the head like you would to test mirror alignment, and it fired a beam into the centre, again with a little crackle noise.
I'm really worried i've owned the laser 3 weeks and the tube is fudged. :cry:

Please help me!
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

Hiya,

I've replied to your pm and will call in the morning ;)

best wishes

Dave
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk