CorelDraw to Newlydraw and laser

Moderators: HPC, Daven

bobg

CorelDraw to Newlydraw and laser

Post by bobg »

Here's the procedure I use to get drawings from Coreldraw to Newlydraw for the laser (in my case a 3020).

In Coreldraw set up a new blank document as A4 landscape

In 'Object Manager' label the current layer as 'CUT' and create a new one called 'ENGRAVE'. You should have two layers shown in RED in the Object Manager.

FIRST - draw a very small cross in the top left of the A4 page on the CUT layer. Now cut and paste this to the ENGRAVE layer. (CTRL C in CUT, change to ENGRAVE and CTRL V). You now have a small cross in the same place on both layers.

Select 'CUT' when drawing the lines to be cut, and 'ENGRAVE' when drawing the lines to be engraved. Import any bitmaps to be engraved into the 'ENGRAVED' layer.

Once your drawing is complete - save it as a Coreldraw file - this saves ALL the drawing including both 'layers'

In the 'Object Manager' you can hide each layer in turn to check you have the engraving and cutting lines correct (use the 'eye' icon).

You must now save the CUT layer as a DXF file and 'export' the ENGRAVE file as a bitmap.

Click the small printer icon in the Object Manager for the ENGRAVE layer (small cross shows ENGRAVE will not be saved/printed) and then click SAVE AS. Select your filename and change the save format to a DXF file. Only the CUT layer will have been saved.

Click on the small printer icon in the Object Manager to select the ENGRAVE layer to turn it back on, and then click on the small printer icon in the Object Manager for the CUT layer (which should now have a cross over it). Now select 'EXPORT' and make sure BITMAP is selected as the filetype. Ensure that 'original size' is in the save box and change to 'Black and White' and 'Dithered'. Now save your BMP bitmap file.

You now have three files (preferably with the same filename and in the same place), a native Coreldraw file .CDR, and .DXF file, and a .BMP file.

IN NEWLYDRAW

Create an A4 master page - landscape - with a small cross at top left. Save this as Master Page for future re-loading. This sets up Newlydraw ready for your imported files.

With your Master Page loaded, import your BMP (bitmap) file and move to top left. Line up the small cross with the Master Page cross. (Use VIEW 400% to do this accurately).

Next import your DXF file and move to top left. Line up the small cross again with the others. This ensures that your CUT and ENGRAVE layers are correctly lined up.

Now select EDIT and SELECT ALL to select BOTH layers.

Now select FILE and ENGRAVE, select your speed, cut and scan settings (click 'Prop' top right) and you are ready to engrave. On the 3020 you need to input your power by turnig the power knob - and you're ready to cut and engrave!

This looks to be a lot of steps I know - but it works for me and I hope this might be of use to others.

Bob
LS3020 used for hobby - making model railway buildings/signals etc.
PhillyDee

Re: CorelDraw to Newlydraw and laser

Post by PhillyDee »

Handy.

I have added it to the LS3020 guide.
http://www.tmbelectronics.com - Electronics, tools, hobby tools, power tools, and much more!

An ex LS3020 user now playing with an LS6840PRO (60W) and an LS1290PRO (80W)
Spooky

Re: CorelDraw to Newlydraw and laser

Post by Spooky »

Nice work Bob :) many thanks

best wishes

Dave
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk