laser tube terminals

Moderators: HPC, Daven

phil2simmons

laser tube terminals

Post by phil2simmons »

Hi all
Just got back to school after lovely summer hols and filled our 9060 laser with coolant and started to check it's functioning. I found that there was a lack of power especially in the front right hand corner (furthest from the laser). Cleaned and aligned the mirrors/lens but still the same. Found that the connector furthest from the beam exit end was loose, the pins were bent and not clamped onto the tube pin. I have bent them back and all was OK, except when I pushed the machine back into position I lost power again. Have now taped that connector and all working well. I have had problems previously with the connector at laser exit end with the cable dropping off totally and it is now taped in position.

Can I cut off the existing connector and use an electrical terminal block with screws to make a better job of it instead of tape?

Thanks
Phil
tweakie

Re: laser tube terminals

Post by tweakie »

Ignoring warranty issues for a moment - Some say you can and some say you can't.
I use terminal blocks with no tape and have never had a problem but I think you should check with HPC for the official position before doing this.

Tweakie.
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

In reality yes but there are a couple of considerations,

The pins are tungsten alloy and are very hard, if you bend them at all the tube glass will shatter (its the weakest point of the tube) I've seen tube connections shatter under finger pressure so proceed with caution.

PAT regulations, I have no idea if changing the connection will require a new pat test in a school environment,the machines have wheels so are technically portable...

All in sounds like a good idea but I have no idea what the HPC position would be on such a modification.

I have to call Chris in a min anyways so I'll ask :)

best wishes

Dave
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
phil2simmons

Post by phil2simmons »

Thanks Dave. I will await your response. This connector seems to be a weak point on my machine especially when there is a lot of vibration on some projects we have. I just hate it when the cable drops off.

Whilst I was fidling around with the connector at the end of the tube opposite the beam exit end, I got an electric shock through the plastic connector even though the machine was switched off and power removed. Must be some residual current in there.

Phil
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

Hiya Phil,

No can do, those terminals aren't rated for the voltage that would go through them, Chris also mentioned in the event of arcing the plastic surround will burn and give off noxious fumes (it's moulded PVC)
sorry it's not better news

best wishes

Dave
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk