Is it possible for you to set an origin in newlydraw?

Moderators: HPC, Daven

col

Is it possible for you to set an origin in newlydraw?

Post by col »

Hi

I have got a job to do with a 3020 running under the newlydraw software and I am tring to find out if it can be done.
The items are plastic 60 x 40mm and 5mm heigh. We need to cut shapes into the plastic but they need to be centeral as one of the cuts is a circle 36mm which only leaves 2mm above and 2mm below. If this is not centeral it stands out.
I came up with an idea to get it centered, we do the design and put a 60 x 40mm box around the design , we put cardboard on the bed, tape it down, select the 60 x 40 and laser cut a 60 x 40mm rectangle, the plastic parts then push into the cutout so we know that they are square to the laser. Every thing works up to here and this is were we are falling down. We the select the shapes to be cut and unselect the 60x40mm and click go. it now starts cutting from it start possition and does not move into the area above the plastic. I have been reading up and i think i need to be able to set an origin position so every thing that is to be cut if relative to this position. Can this be done in newlydraw software? If so how?

thanks
colin
Daven

Re: Is it possible for you to set an origin in newlydraw?

Post by Daven »

Off the top of my head I'm not sure, will check in the morning.

I do sometimes use the option 'Full page position' which should move the head to the position of the items on screen to the relative position on the bed. You would have to sync the bed corners to the screen but it may work for you.

Cheers

Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
col

Post by col »

Hi Dave

Thanks for the reply, I have always wondered what full page position was.... How would you sync the bed corners?

Colin
Daven

Post by Daven »

No Problems ;-)

I would draw a box and copy it to each corner of the layout screen, click the engrave button and select full page and then start the job without the laser on at first and watch to see where the head goes. Move the bed to the alignment spot (use a slow speed so you have a bit more time to play). Then when it is close, turn the laser on and try using a scrap bit of card and make any adjustments to make sure each box is aligned.

Will have a play later and see if there is a better way ;-)

Cheers

Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
PhillyDee

Post by PhillyDee »

Well, how I do it is.

Move the head to the centre of the table by hand with the machine turned off.
It then homes itself to the top right hand side when turned on.
I then find a position by typing numbers into the go to box. Mine is set to -97 and 0. This takes it to the top left corner. You will have to fiddle about, try 0,0 first and go from there.

Whenever I turn the machine off, I always home it again. Then just click on my saved goto position and it takes it to the desired coordinates in the machine. I use a jig as well pushed up against the left hand side (6mm MDF) so all I have to do is then push a full sheet against it, and then run my program.
http://www.tmbelectronics.com - Electronics, tools, hobby tools, power tools, and much more!

An ex LS3020 user now playing with an LS6840PRO (60W) and an LS1290PRO (80W)
Pedro_Hernandez

Post by Pedro_Hernandez »

I use jigs like Phil and have my top left as the go to point as well. You will of course have to refocus after cutting your mdf jig.

Now I don’t know about other 3020 owners but my rise and fall bed move's a few mm in both axis when adjusted and I never rely on it alone, that’s were the mdf jig comes into play ensuring your datum is spot on every time.

Also youwill find it a drag if you got to retrieve cut parts at the far top of the table especially under the head/rail assembly itself, so for convenience sake have it so that part is left blank and your cut parts are below that, This makes repetitive jobs a lot more tolerable.

Lastly you may find you have to offset you jig cut outs to accommodate your pre cut 60 X 40mm squares to allow for kerf and wastage. Same with the 36mm hole in the Perspex; it could turnout more like 37.5mm finished size once cut out.

Regards

Pedro
HPC1290 User HPC 3020 Owner