LS3020 failed pot?

Moderators: HPC, Daven

WastedHippy

LS3020 failed pot?

Post by WastedHippy »

Hi guys,

I'm not 100% sure but think my potentiometer may have failed on my LS3020.

The machines at my fathers so I need to pop up today to double check but from what he's saying the power is stuck on and won't adjust, amp meter showing power and burns through paper when engraving even with the power set to zero on the pot.

Has anyone else had this problem? If it's the pot I'd ideally like to change it over today rather than have to order and wait for one. Maplins maybe but after doing some research there's single and multi turn pots, ours being multi turn so I'm not sure I'll get a direct replacement from there although something that works will be better than one stuck on full steam ahead all the time :shock:

Just trying to think ahead here I'll know more when I'm in front of the machine but can't think of anything else that can be affecting power output other than the pot.

Cheers
Paul
Daven

Re: LS3020 failed pot?

Post by Daven »

Not something silly like the knob loose and not turning the pot?

I would be inclined to give HPC a call in the morning if it is the pot!

Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
WastedHippy

Post by WastedHippy »

Hi Dave,

no I've checked that already, pulled the knob off and turned the spindle by hand with no change in power output, also made sure the pot hadn't come lose and turning with the spindle behind the control panel.

Trying to do a bit of damage limitation by sorting it today rather than HPC for the part and having to go back to the workshop in the week to fit it, day away from here during the week is 150 quid lost from my other business :cry:

Cheers
Paul
Daven

Post by Daven »

I sympathise mate - PITA when things like this happen!

Looking at mine and Maplins I'm not sure they stock the same pots - worth checking in store I guess but in my experience the catalogue has more available than the store!

Cheers

Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
WastedHippy

Post by WastedHippy »

Looks like it's the pot, I've put a multi meter on it and it's running at full power constantly, will get hold of HPC tomorrow and hopefully get one sent down.

Thanks for your help :D

Paul