Performance or lack of...

Moderators: HPC, Daven

WyeModels

Performance or lack of...

Post by WyeModels »

I have been running my 3060 for about six months and generally I have been pretty happy with it, but at the weekend i went to see a friend who has just got the same machine and I was shocked at the difference in cutting speeds it takes me a couple of passes to cut 2mm medite at 15/80 whereas he was going through easily on the same settings :oops:
My water temps are fine, and I only tend to cut for short periods (10mins) so that isnt an issue, it all seems to point to the optics. I have spent an afternoon cleaning, realigning and checking the mirrors and they are all good. Where should I be looking from here? any advice gratefully relieved :D
LS3060
PhillyDee

Re: Performance or lack of...

Post by PhillyDee »

Have you checked the focal length also? Make sure it is focusing at the correct spot.

Don't forget that tubes wear out also. Performance will steadily decline.
http://www.tmbelectronics.com - Electronics, tools, hobby tools, power tools, and much more!

An ex LS3020 user now playing with an LS6840PRO (60W) and an LS1290PRO (80W)
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

hiya,

2mm medite should cut somewhere about 20 to 22 speed and 75 power on a 3060 with a 40 watt tube.

I'd agree with Phil, have a look at both sides of your final lens and ensure that is clean as well as checking final alignment and focal height,if all those are ok then it *may* be tube degradation but lets rule out the obvious stuff first :)

best wishes

Dave
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
WyeModels

Post by WyeModels »

The tube has less than 50 hours in it. Im pointing the finger at the final mirror and the lens, but there is no adjustment for the final mirror, both have been cleaned, and focal height is 62mm. I will recheck all the mirrors, but I think they are pretty close. I do have a spare mirror but all look good to me, I may have to think about getting another lens just to shift that from the equation.
LS3060
Daven

Post by Daven »

Is the lens up the right way too? Every little helps ;-)

Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
PhillyDee

Post by PhillyDee »

There is final adjustment for the last mirror, its called sticky labels used as shims!
http://www.tmbelectronics.com - Electronics, tools, hobby tools, power tools, and much more!

Spooky

Post by Spooky »

Focal height 62mm??
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
WyeModels

Post by WyeModels »

It is 62mm from the assembly mounting to the workpiece, it is the way Chris showed me. I stripped the entire head at 6 this morning which has yielded some improvement, there was some manufacturing debris in one of the threads which was tilting the assembly. Next thing is to realign the whole lot, I think I am on the right track and it is the final mirror lens.
LS3060
PhillyDee

Post by PhillyDee »

I measured all the parts for the lens assembly on my LS3020 and found the value given was off by 0.5mm. Not a lot, I know!

WyeModels

Post by WyeModels »

I has taken me since 5 this morning, but I think I have cracked it, Im getting through 2mm medite at 20/80 and I can probably lower the power a bit. I have dissembled the whole assembly and debured, lubed and adjusted everything, which improved things a lot.
Basically there were a lot of small things causing the loss of performance, but the main culprit was the thread on the collar that holds the final mirror in place, this was putting the lens about 2mm out, so although everything was correct according to the height gauge it wasnt really :o
Thank you to everyone for suggestions, it helps when you have spent a day and a half chasing rainbows :lol:
LS3060