3mm mirrored perspex burning!

Moderators: HPC, Daven

Natalie

3mm mirrored perspex burning!

Post by Natalie »

Hey,
I recently purchased a couple of sheets of this stuff
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400125014076? ... 1497.l2649

After which I see that Trent Plastics is in the list of suppliers for material.

However when I've come to engrave and cut it it's smoked quite a bit (thankfully we have an extractor fitted) but has also left a brown edge and kinda fused itself back together again in some places. I've peeled it back and managed to get it as I wanted - tho the excess did come away as a bit 'bendy' which is making me think that it's not the right material? - in my experience perspex just snaps away. Or is it just my settings?

~ Natalie
LS 6090 user
PhillyDee

Re: 3mm mirrored perspex burning!

Post by PhillyDee »

Sounds to me like they have sent the wrong stuff. I have about 20 sheets of the stuff from them I bought 3 months or so back which cuts exactly like it should. They also do styrene sheet, it may be possible they have mixed it up.
http://www.tmbelectronics.com - Electronics, tools, hobby tools, power tools, and much more!

An ex LS3020 user now playing with an LS6840PRO (60W) and an LS1290PRO (80W)
tweakie

Post by tweakie »

I think I mentioned this same problem in another thread (the stuff I bought had a gray colour, ridged backing) where my "perspex" turned out to be "polycarbonate". It was returned and eventually replaced with the right stuff but, in my case, the supplier was not Trent Plastics.

Tweakie.
Natalie

Post by Natalie »

I was thinking that this was the case but just thought I'd check to be sure before I contacted them. Thankfully they only sent me one sheet when I origionally requested 4 so hoping it's rectfied before they send me the rest.

Cheers for the info :)
LS 6090 user