Lasercut 5.3

Moderators: HPC, Daven

endcan

Lasercut 5.3

Post by endcan »

Just a new topic to share some bits we are playing with......
If you export from Techsoft 2D design as a DXF file sometimes you loose lines and letters...
This can be resolved by exporting as a PLT this will take files across which will work.
Anyone else got any other tips on exporting /importing....
Corel sometimes repeats cuts ;) on holes ?
Personalised bike bitz,Metal marking,adhesive decals
Daven

Re: Lasercut 5.3

Post by Daven »

endcan wrote: Anyone else got any other tips on exporting /importing....
Yeah dont use 2D design or Corel ;-)

DraftSight or DoubleCad, both free seem to work better - or Autocad

Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
PhillyDee

Post by PhillyDee »

I use corel, for the arty farty stuff you cannot do in Acad, generally snazzy stuff with fonts.

Otherwise its cad design for me!
http://www.tmbelectronics.com - Electronics, tools, hobby tools, power tools, and much more!

An ex LS3020 user now playing with an LS6840PRO (60W) and an LS1290PRO (80W)
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

Yup, saving splines in AutoCAD R12 format DXF automatically converts them to Joined Polylines...

Past that I won't use Corel unless I really must (for converting CDR files etc), AutoCAD all the way for a paid package, Draftsite for a free one.

Corel does a lot of things badly, ACad does a few thing but very well.

best wishes

Dave
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
SimonMallas

Post by SimonMallas »

Hi All,
Coral draw is still pretty much the Industry standard, with Abode illustrator, photoshop hot on its heel, for the sign / general alrounders. And on the engineers / archetectual side, there doesn't seem to be a outright leader anymore. Where as it used to be autocad all the way, it seem to have fallen out of favor. Solidworks, 3dstusio, rhino and the rest all seem popular.
The only tip would be choose a program that best suits you and your business and stick with it learn it...
Ps
If your using illustrator save as cs4 and make sure there uncompressed.
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

Ew, CorelDraw, yuck - only under duress, as it drives me insane - I have to apologise every two minutes to my colleagues for the profanity lessons I give my PC (just as well computer voice recognition isn't perfected yet!)

I'm mostly designing enclosures etc. using good old slots and tabs etc. for strong joints - my fave MO now is to use Google Sketchup for the design stages. Seems to me by far the most intuitive 3D package I've seen - and the free version is powerful enough to cover everything I've ever needed to do. It's not bogged down by 'Pro' features that never get used, but features you do want are easily added from the huge library of (mostly free) plugins. My fave is a 'Face to SVG' plugin which allows you to click on any face of a 3D model and export it as a 2D .svg vector file without needing to 'flatten' everything to a cutting plan first (and means no need for the 'Pro' features of the paid for version of Sketchup).
These .svg files always seem much 'cleaner' than AutoCAD files (no overlapping lines or bizarre zero-area 'closed' curves etc.) - and Corel is now used only for minor 'cleaning up' and conversion to '.ai' format for use in LaserCut - often a simple conversion from .svg to .ai, followed by use of LaserCut's "unite lines" feature, is all the tweaking that's needed (much easier than the hours I've spent in the past trying to clean up some of our engineers' AutoCAD files).
endcan

Post by endcan »

Anyone know what drawing package outputs nc files?
Personalised bike bitz,Metal marking,adhesive decals
Daven

Post by Daven »

I think MasterCam and Geopath

Try their websites ;)

Cheers

Dave
Using two LS3060's and an ex 3020 user
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

EdgeCAM,CadMaster Solid, PlusCAM,DeltaCAD,Dolphin Cad,

NC is just a defaut format for a gcode text file :)
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk