Autocad Help With DXF files

Moderators: HPC, Daven

Spooky

Autocad Help With DXF files

Post by Spooky »

Ok so you have a downloaded dxf file from the web....the ends of the lines don't seem to meet up??

Usually this is because the file has been created with Autocad full version (ie: 3d) so the Z planes vary between line positions (Z levels NOT layers) best way to make them all match instead of editing each line with PEDIT is to use an LSP application added into your AutoCAD.

Then from the command line in autoCAD simply type "Flatten" without the ""

The prompt will ask you to select objects (Simply hit enter if you wish to flatten all items.

In this case "Flatten" is the term used to mean "make all lines etc the same Z level"

More addons to follow.

best wishes

Dave
Attachments
flatten.zip
(2.71 KiB) Downloaded 243 times
Last edited by Spooky on Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
Spooky

Re: Autocad Help With DXF files

Post by Spooky »

Sometimes your Polylines have too many hit points or Vertexes in them...using the same kind of LSP file simply use the "Weed" command to remove some of them. User input is required for the number of vertexes you wish to remove.

Load this application into AutoCAD as you would any other LSP.

best wishes

Dave
Attachments
weed.zip
(3.03 KiB) Downloaded 225 times
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
Spooky

Re: Autocad Help With DXF files

Post by Spooky »

One of the most usefull items in the CAD toolbox....you ever downloaded a file only to find out it won't let you use offset or add a chamfer??

It looks like a polyline so why can't you add that chamfer??

Well many times it will be because the draughtsman has used "Spline" instead of a normal LWPOLYLINE or POLYLINE (it's the poormans way of smoothing out badly drawn polylines), splines have some restrictions on manipulation such as rotation and offset etc...it's a real pain in the butt when you can't offset a line isn't it??

simply add this VLX to your Autoload LSP manager and use the command "spl2pl" to change all those splines into normal polylines.

Makes life much easier...polys can be exploded and editited much like any other line whereas splines cannot.

best wishes

Dave
Attachments
spl2pl.zip
(2.52 KiB) Downloaded 217 times
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk