Soft Stop

Moderators: HPC, Daven

Trevor Wootton

Soft Stop

Post by Trevor Wootton »

Hi,

Im wanting to etch a drinking glass. I have take a 2 bit BMP file, rotated it the right way round, made it the right size, downloaded the etch data and the donfig data. When I try to "Run Box" the laser machine beeps 10 times and the display reads "Soft Stop" :?

Does any one have any ideas what "Soft Stop" means on the 6840 laser machine?

Cheers
Trevor
Spooky

Re: Soft Stop

Post by Spooky »

Hiya Trev,

Yup it means that part of the imported drawing is outside of the laserable area, sometimes this can be an errant pixel or it can be the overall drawing isn't moved inside the grid box displayed by Lasercut.

Soft stops are the midline area between where the servo's can drive to and the actual physical end of the bedways traverse. If you like a safety measure to stop the servo slamming the carridge into the hard ends of the rails.

hope that helps

best wishes

Dave
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
Trevor Wootton

Post by Trevor Wootton »

Hi Dave,

Between re-reading the manual, pulling my (remaining) hair out and checking back here, I had managed to figure out to figure it out as well.

Because we were trying to use the rotory tool, it never looked like we were at the end of the Y axis and the LCD screen wasn't overly obvious either

So, now it's time to start writing the "Trev's User manual for the Laser Machine".
Error messages like this are going to be in there for when I forget in a months time or so...

Thats my first glass tumbler etched, badly. Need to try some more settings, me thinks

Cheers
Trev
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

Try speed 100 power 5 Trev :)

When silicon dioxide (Basically sand or glass) is exposed to laser radiation you get microburst explosions on the surface making it quite rough if too much power is used.
Start low and work up I have found is the best way.

I'm having a hectic time, getting drawing packs setup for clients and the web site at the minute so my actual cutting time gets seriously restricted :( Going well though, my repeat orders from schools and private laser owners are really taking up nicely.

What line of work you hoping to get into?

best wishes

Dave
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
Trevor Wootton

Post by Trevor Wootton »

Hi Dave,
Sorry for the delay, have been away for a week, (first holiday for 10 years). I want to get into photo transfer to engraving. I've got a company intrested in me doing work for them when I'm ready. I have an embroidery machine so once I am comfidant we are going to open a small shop selling embroidered and engraved gifts. Engraving drinking glasses, ipods and mobile phones is going to be another line, if I can find an insurance company to cover me. I don't want to get involved in too many lines, We'll see what sells and take it from there. :? :?
Trev