optics alignment problems

Moderators: HPC, Daven

Pedro_Hernandez

optics alignment problems

Post by Pedro_Hernandez »

Ok so I've got a job on engraving nearly 200 acrylic blocks and I'd thought I'd give the old 3020 a good clean and fettle.

Now I'd thought I'd give the optics alignment some attention and was shocked how bad it was and that I had been using it like that.

Now I know its generally believed that if you can hit the opening on the laser head assembly pretty much central in all four corners of the bed then that is good enough.

I found that within 1.5 to 2mm tolerance that was best I could expect. - also put a bit of perspex on edge and its spot on for the first 5mm then start to veer off minutely.

I cut some perspex disc's and set about checking all the mirrors, 1st mirror was fine (tube end) 2nd Mirror (on the rail) at the top left position was out by quite a lot so I put that right. Now when I put the mirror to the bottom left position and fire the laser itwas a good 3 to 3.5mm out, still central but over to the right in the direction of the control panel. ! What the heck ?.

Another issue I've had for a long while and I think this is typical of the head assembly on the 30 series is how central the beam exits the nose cone. I shim mine with bit of masking tape and it fires dead centre what ever the position of the head on the work table.

The only thing I'm scratching my head over is why the discrepancy on the carriage optics (2nd mirror) from the top position the bottom position.

Its been back to base and back again under warranty on a pallet. And the main carriage assembly (fitted with four bolts ) has been removed at some point as the glue blobs are no longer present and their are witness marks on my nuts.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Pedro
HPC1290 User HPC 3020 Owner