Help with choosing an easy to use CAD package

Moderators: HPC, Daven

Trevor Wootton

Help with choosing an easy to use CAD package

Post by Trevor Wootton »

Hi,

Looks like Im going to have to learn to use a CAD package.

From what I have read, AutoCAD is one of the (if not the) best CAD packages around, but it's not cheap and I have seen people comment on it's steep learning curve.
I have just downloaded DeltaCAD as their website says "Delta Cad - World's easiest CAD program" but I am yet to try it.

So, what CAD packages would people recommend for a complete CAD newbie on a budget?

Cheers
Trev
Spooky

Re: Help with choosing an easy to use CAD package

Post by Spooky »

Deltacad is great Trev but there are some issues with it's save format, although it does save to dxf and dc the formats aren't to the exact unified method so can cause BIG problems when using it with a laser.

Rhinoceros is very good at around 800 quid and has the advantage of being nurbs ready (you can create solid objects with it to see the finished item before you cut)

There are a huge number of different packages but to be honest between the guys here and myself we have some 60 years drafting experience and won't use anything except autocad. (clients expect autocad format saves as well)

I would say don't go for the latest version (2011) as it has a LOT of features your never going to use (dynamic blocks etc) and go for the LT (2d) version as well, 2007 is still available from some resellers at a greatly reduced price (from 300 quid).

as to learning curve......depends what you want to do with it..many of the features Autocad has are to increase productivity and file speeds for Draughtsmen but the difference between a drawing taking an hour and 2 hours isn't really going to affect laser work much so you won't need to ever use them.

The caveat "you get what you pay for" is just as true in the drafting and design world as it is anywhere ;) a cad package is 30 quid for a reason :)

Thats much of my day job, I do out sourced work for companies who don't want to employ drawing teams or have dedicated drawing departments.Outsourcing isn't as expensive as people think (not an advert by the way :)) it all comes down to what your own time costs you.

Sad to say (mostly because of cost) but AutoCAD really is the way to go if you want to draw something once rather than have to keep doing redraws because of line errors or exploded polys etc.

best wishes

Dave
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

PS in house training schools are pretty cost effective as well, they will only teach you what you need rather than learing all of it yourself and finding you will never use half of it.

cheers

Dave
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
Mike

Post by Mike »

I use autoCAD and Wildfire 3D packages, two differnt ways of thinking, Autocad is pretty easy really once you know what does what.

Some schools offer autocad in there tech classes and so may offer after hours training courses too, we have had some students in the office on work placement and they have learnt to use autoCAD pretty quickly, so the best option is to try and find someone local who can help you figure it out... there are loads of online tutorails too.

You can also try and pick up older LT versions on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Autocad-LT-2007-A ... 5adaef7fb8
or
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUTOCAD-LT-2006-/ ... 4151536b5e

Hope that helps

Mike
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

Great links from Mike, go for the 2006 version Trev, it has everything 2d laser work needs without a lot of the system hungry features you will never use.

If you wanna drop me a line by email I'll copy some of our training videos onto CD and send them to you.You will probably only need to learn about 20% of autocad to fulfill all your needs :)

If you do want an autocad tutor I can loan you ours as he's not really busy at the minute :)

best wishes

Dave
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
Trevor Wootton

Post by Trevor Wootton »

I had a quick look yesterday, but could only find packages at over £600.

I had also seen QCad. I know that you only get what you pay for, but was wondering if QCad was worth looking at, for £40-ish with a printed reference manual, even it if only gets us going until we can afford something a little more professional.

However, I had not thought about ebay. There is also an LT 98 version with the LT 2002 upgrade. I assume that 2002 will still do everything I need it to do?

I know that I need to read up on CAD, but if I need to do a design with both cut lines and engraved areas, am I right in thinking that a 2d package will still do this as, I will be working in multiple layer, all bound to just 2 dimensions?

Cheers
Paul (on behalf of Trev)
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

Hiya Paul :)

It's not so much the actual drafting mate, it's the file save format and compatability. Deltacad saves in .DXF but the Deltacad dxf isn't quite the same format so skews when opened up in Lasercut or AutoCAD.

I don't know if Qcad is any good to be honest, I've never used it so it is unfair for me to comment.

I always save my master drawings in .DWG and the working copies in AutoCAD 2000 DXF format for importing direct into LaserCUT.

When you draw up your project it pays to use multiple layers for both format AND run priority.

Lemme see if I can explain...

Imagine you want to cut 2 concentric circles...(one inside the other) you will need to ensure the inner of the two cuts first (or the ring will fall out early before cutting the second ring)

So you would draw the inner ring in say BLUE (layer)and the outer ring is YELLOW(layer), when you import into LaserCUT you simply select the layer you wish to process first (trust me I've done huge projects and forgotten to assign priority and ended up with a pile of scrap)
The same goes for Engrave Vs CUT, you assign a layer to each item you wish to process differently.

As to autocad 2002 ,yes that will work fine as you need to save your working files in 2000 DXF format,what you don't get is things like the spline tool (it creates a poly(type) line at the mean of multiple points,its the way I'm cleaning up your Jigsaw drawing) but there are ways round that.

Another option is downloading the full version of autocad 2011 (full 3d version) from the autodesk site, it has a no limitation 30 day trial so will get you going for a good start (just bust your butt doing all the drawings inside 30 days ;)) at least that will give you a good feel for the actual package and if you don't get on with it then it gives you the chance to look elsewhere.

If you guys are local to me I can drop in and try to help out with some autocad tips and training if thats any good to you?

best wishes

Dave
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
baldrick

Post by baldrick »

The easiest CAD package I have come across is Vcarve from vectric, it is so simple to use and designed around the novice.
It is a fully featured CNC CAM programme; however for around £400 and much much less for the lesser versions and will produce quality DXF files with simplicity. Would suggest a visit to their website for a free download of a trial package. The trial package does everything but allow a save.

It even has a really good raster to vector converter.

http://www.vectric.com/