Quick Tip / Jigsaw Procedures

Moderators: HPC, Daven

Spooky

Quick Tip / Jigsaw Procedures

Post by Spooky »

Heyho,

Please find attached a simple part drawn project for an 8 inch jigsaw.

Note the top left piece has been redrawn as a SPLINE instead of a POLYLINE.
When drawing items like jigsaws it can pay to use SPLINE as it will provide rounded smooth curves instead of blocky or jagged POLYLINES. NOT all CAD packages support splines so some will not read the file.
SPLINES are much harder to manipulate as well due to the fact they are an average position between two given points instead of actual co-ordinates.This means things like "OFFSET" etc will not work on a spline, also rotation of splines is not a simple matter without converting them to polylines first.(they retain their origin Xrefs).
Also note the single piece in the top corner is on a different layer to the rest,this is a good idea with Jigsaws to prevent long lines being cut and parts moving before you want them to. The easiest way I have found is to use a different layer for each piece (within constraints of time) so the entire puzzle is cut in sequence of individual parts rather than as a whole.

As time permits I'll continue converting the attached drawing so people can download and use at their lesure.

When time allows I'll add a section to my website with a load more tips and tutorials,sadly at the minute time is something I don't have much of ;)

best wishes

Dave
Attachments
Jigsaw Test.zip
A simple start to a jigsaw project.
(43.65 KiB) Downloaded 390 times
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk