Corel Draw X6

Moderators: HPC, Daven

khumbu5

Corel Draw X6

Post by khumbu5 »

Hi, currently using Adobe Illustrator CS6 at work but want to buy CorelDraw X6 home and student edition for personal use at home then interface with our 6090, lasercut 5.3, etc. Am I likely to encounter any problems with doing this? Also, Is it possible to import new fonts into X6 as there is a limited number in the home edition?

There is lots of talk about VBA plug-ins, etc but not clued up enough to know how this will affect my use (engraving). Ay help or advice will be appreciated...
PhillyDee

Re: Corel Draw X6

Post by PhillyDee »

I use x5, and everything i do is layered in colours depending on what needs doing. I then sa e it as a dxf in autocad 10 format (stops those pesky splines) and then just import it into lasercut 5.3
http://www.tmbelectronics.com - Electronics, tools, hobby tools, power tools, and much more!

An ex LS3020 user now playing with an LS6840PRO (60W) and an LS1290PRO (80W)
khumbu5

Post by khumbu5 »

That's good to know. Is your X5 a home edition?
PhillyDee

Post by PhillyDee »

I believe it is the full edition, should have cost me £500 or so. I got it for £139.99 :D .

I haveseen plugins that will drive one of the lasers, though I have no experience of it myself, and prefer to just export as dxf and stick it into LC.
http://www.tmbelectronics.com - Electronics, tools, hobby tools, power tools, and much more!

khumbu5

Post by khumbu5 »

Like wise, thats what I'm used to with AI and it works well for me.
Have you ever had the need to import new fonts into X5?
PhillyDee

Post by PhillyDee »

I have a load of carefully selected ones that I just clag into the windows font folder and corel picks them up fine, they get converted into curves during the dxf process anyway (all TrueType fonts). Likewise if anyone brings a font they want along with them.

khumbu5

Post by khumbu5 »

Thanks for your feedback. I think for the sake of £53 I'll bite the bullet and get it. Just seems ridiculously cheap compared to the full version. I'm looking for the catch!
PhillyDee

Post by PhillyDee »

It will be a licencing restriction. Only to be used for home and education and no more than 1 install usually. IIRC the full version is business licensed and I know I can install 3 copies as long as only one is ever being used at the same time. Perfect for home, laptop and unit!

Spooky

Post by Spooky »

Nope.....home & student doesn't allow macro's.

cheers

Dave
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
bobg

Post by bobg »

Double check that the home and student version of X6 reads and writes the .dxf files (or at least another supported format) before you buy it. I believe it does not but would love to know from someone who has it that it does!

I was hoping to buy it myself but need .dxf for my 3020

Bob
LS3020 used for hobby - making model railway buildings/signals etc.