Engraving acrylic

Moderators: HPC, Daven

Intri

Engraving acrylic

Post by Intri »

Hi guys
I there a way of stopping those white marks around the edge of engraved and cut acrylic. Some some of easy with iso but there are others which are hard to get off and i dont want to scratch the plastic.
Many thanks
Rich
Hps 6090 pro lasercut 5.3
Spooky

Re: Engraving acrylic

Post by Spooky »

Lower your airflow to the nozzle Rich, that haze is vaporised acrylic being re-deposited by the air jet.

cheers

Dave
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
Intri

Post by Intri »

Ahh ok. The pump I have is on constant. How do i change the air flow. Could i put a slight kink in the tube or will that knacker the pump
Cheers Dave
Rich
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

Awkward one Rich,

Restricting the flow may damage the pump,you can't stop the air all together or you will damage the lens. Lemme mull it over and see what I can come up with.

cheers

Dave
Please note I am not employed by HPC, any advice or recomendations I give are based on my own experience and are not necessarily the same as HPC's. First point of contact on any hardware issues should be with HPC
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
Intri

Post by Intri »

I was thinking of getting a bigger air pump and splitting the hose to blow in two directions. Could this work or would i run into problems
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

Could do Rich, main thing is to make sure you keep enough air going to surpress any flaming or much getting kicked back onto the lens

cheers

Dave
Dave@OpticalPower.co.uk
Intri

Post by Intri »

I was thinking about it last night and I dont think it would work. when cutting paper or card the material would blow around. Back to the drawing board.
Intri

Post by Intri »

Hi Dave
Been playing around with a few ideas and washing up liquid works brilliantly just like if you were doing glass. I just used a thin layer rubber in with my finger, engrave and wash off and just clean up with ipa.
The acrylic looks brilliant
Hope this helps anyone else
Cheers Rich
Chris

Post by Chris »

ive been having this issue also, so thanks for the tip!
keithwright

Post by keithwright »

Try leaving the protective film on acrylic. This works for us but can be a little fiddly to remove on lettering etc. You may need to up power very slightly. I add 2.

Cheers

Keith

DT Technician State secondary school